Huge brutal Drums - Turorial!

Why aren't you explaining what you're doing? I don't know about everyone else, but I'm not motivated enough to try to read the tiny fonts on screenshots of plugins.

Why aren't you explaining what you're doing? I don't know about everyone else, but I'm not motivated enough to try to read the tiny fonts on screenshots of plugins.

All of his posts have been videos without commentary. And no responses. Hmm...

I dunno...maybe some folks like that sound, and maybe that's "the" sound of Metal drums...but listening to the soloed drums from about 2:00 to 3:00...those are some of the most horrible sounding drum sounds I've heard in a long time. They don't even sound like drums.
Listen to them as it gets close to 3:00...the friggin' woodpeckers sound better pecking on the trees in my yard.
What is that...an electric typewriter stuck key sample? :D

I guess it works for some things.

Slate sounds have gotten so fucking boring and over used. It's like ez drummer at this point.

If the new Bring Me The Horizon isn't entirely slate, then slate was at least used to beef up the drums. Pretty sick of being pulled out of a good song because the drums are so generic and boring I end up focusing on that instead.

In which way does a turorial differ from a tutorial?:laughings:

---------- Update ----------

All of his posts have been videos without commentary. And no responses. Hmm...

So isn't that sort of against the spirit of the place? Can we burn him? He's a witch!

I agree.
They are brutal, but huge is not a word I'd use to describe them.

That's another thing.

"Brutal" drums don't sound huge. Because when you go fast large cavernous drums don't work.

"Brutal" (lol I laugh every time I see that) is usually tight, fast decaying drums that get in and get out. So a better descriptor would be "tight brutal drums" lol

Oh God just stop now. No wonder Metal can't be taken seriously half the time.

Whatever they are called, whatever description is given to them doesn't matter.
They just plain sound like crap. (Im being nice)
:D

The only thing that comes close to sounding "huge" is the reverb but the amount of wetness is really taking away from the attack. The snare is a bit too trebly for my taste, where's the body?

I'll say it again: turn down the reverb. I get it, this sound is in right now for the genre, but the overprocessed scooped drum thing just ends up sounding overall forgettable.

I like everything except for the verb on the toms. The guitar might mask it, but the tom reverb sounds a bit too digital and wet.

Last edited:
That was just the most recent example I can think of. There are a tons more.

Slate is 1000% worse than ez drummer when it comes to having a distinct sound, and it's used on everything these days.

I have to say going back and listening to the OP video, he actually managed to make them sound worse. I'm impressed honestly.

I always thought the drum recording/mixing on some death metal was pretty impressive. Even if you hate death metal, just listen to how aggressive, natural and clear the drums are, while able to cut through the entire mix which is pretty full spectrum itself (excuse the crappy youtube audio compression).

This one sounds like it has a little bit of verb on it (as opposed to the nearly bone dry DF sound), just more subtle than the OP, where it's not overpowering the dry sound of the instrument. (again, excuse the crappy youtube audio compression).

I'm not a huge fan of the drum sound VHS posted (for metal). Sounds like plastic buckets were placed over the mics and the compression pumps too much.

Last edited:
Back