How to record guitar amplifer into DAW?

The best way (as Steenamaroo was hinting above) is to use a mic on the amplifier--lots of discussion about best mics and positions but starting with an SM57 about half way between the centre and edge of the cone is a good beginning.

However, the other way would be to take the direct out of the amp into one of the quarter inch inputs on your 2i2. For some styles this might even be preferable; for others it might be considered too "clean".

(Or you can go straight from the guitar to the 2i2 input set to "Instrument" and get a totally clean feed...but this sort of defeats the purpose of having an amp!)

Which SpiderIV do you have? Do you get a sound(s) you like out of the speaker? If so, then miking the amp is the best bet. If its the 15 or 30 models, then the sound is probably not that full from the speakers, so the DI route (amp's DI/headphone output to Scarlett 1/4" input) may be the best route. Note that the headphone output is stereo (even with single-speaker Spider models), so if you are using any stereo FX, you will want to split the headphone output to left and right channels to separate inputs on the interface.

Last edited:
Which SpiderIV do you have? Do you get a sound(s) you like out of the speaker? If so, then miking the amp is the best bet. If its the 15 or 30 models, then the osund is probably not that full from the speakers, so the DI route (amp's DI/headphone output to Scarlett 1/4" input) may be the best route. Note that the headphone output is stereo (even with single-speaker Spider models), so if you are using any stereo FX, you will want to split the headphone output to left and right channels to separate inputs on the interface.

What do you mean by the headphone output is stereo? And that if I am using stereo FX, that I will want to split the headphone output to left and right channels to separate inputs on the interface. Could you please explain in depth, I am very confused and this seems like it might be an important concept for me to know...

What do you mean by the headphone output is stereo? And that if I am using stereo FX, that I will want to split the headphone output to left and right channels to separate inputs on the interface. Could you please explain in depth, I am very confused and this seems like it might be an important concept for me to know...

Stereo headphone/DI output - left and right channel outputs. Got some headphones? Plug them in and play with the Spider's chorus and delay FX and hear it!
If you're not using any stereo effects, then it doesn't make a difference, you'll hear ths ame out of left and right.
To record separate left and right, use one of these (or similar) to go from the headphone output to two inputs on your interface. If you only want to record a mono signal, then a standard guitar-instrument cable form the headphone jack to the interface input will work.

The speakers in the Spider amps are general purpose (not sure of frequency response), so DI output is very close to the same as through the speakers, the modeling is based on amp types, no selection of speakers/cabinets, but the sound would obviously be 'amp as played though ___ speakers'.

Back