How to mix correctly an ambient pad?

MaurizioCiaccio

Hello to everyone, my name is Maurizio. I'm having a little bit of difficulty in mixing this ambient pad.
I'm using the Parametric EQ 2 of Fl Studio 12 and I've tried to cut the unnecessary frequencies but I don't work out to mix correctly the pad because the ambient pads sounds muddy.
In order to help you to help me, I've decided to post a part of the song with ambient pad part so that you could try to equalize only it and after tell me which frequencies have to be cut.

-> we.tl/BktzmqGsZb <-

Thank you very much
Maurizio

Hello to everyone, my name is Maurizio. I'm having a little bit of difficulty in mixing this ambient pad.
I'm using the Parametric EQ 2 of Fl Studio 12 and I've tried to cut the unnecessary frequencies but I don't work out to mix correctly the pad because the ambient pads sounds muddy.
In order to help you to help me, I've decided to post a part of the song with ambient pad part so that you could try to equalize only it and after tell me which frequencies have to be cut.

-> we.tl/BktzmqGsZb <-

Thank you very much
Maurizio

Its impossible to say which ones are the problem frequencies without context. Its heavy at 125, 250, and 400. You could low-self the entire if necessary.

You're best off re-balancing the oscillators and filters. Start by adding a very subtle rise to the cutoff, then adjust the resonance filter if the sound brightens up too fast. You can also throw compression and drive on that pad to glue it a little better.

Try using a fast VCA based compressor to control it and switch to an optical modeling plug if you need more color. I would try a multi-band distortion unit with something that brings out the even order harmonics, then focus it at the 3-5K range. Gradually lower the bottom crossover point until you hear the compression and drive start to control the oscillations in the mix.

...I assume you know how to use an EQ and the plugin that is generating this sound. If not, ask for clarification.

Back