How are the mastering functions on Steinberg's Wavelab?

Hubbawho

I already have this program...I have yet to use it. And I'm hoping I didn't get something I didn't want. I asked the guy at guitar center for a decent mastering software, well this one looks like it's more for editing. Does anybody know how well this program is for mastering my project studio mixes? Thanks for the guidance.

p.s. If I bought the wrong thing - then please inform me of what I should get after I save up some more money. I REALLY hope I didn't just buy a fancy editing software. I already have Cubase SX3.

I have it too, but don't knw much about it. I master in ACID but then bring it into Wavelab only to check peak and average volume. I know that it's MADE for mastering, which is why you can't bring in multiple mono tracks, only stereo mixes. It has a good reputation, from what I've heard.

yeah, I just bought wavelab to master with. of course, I am not talking about effecting the sound. look on some replication houses' websites for what their requirements are for submitting a cd for glass-mastering. then you'll go, "how do I accomplish all of this stuff, and what does it all mean". then you'll be glad you have wavelab.

Its good stuff. Its been I while since I used it but I remember missing it when I had to shift to Mac. It has a lot of nuts-n-bolts functions that you need for stereo file editing and good metering. I wasn't impressed with the stock processors it came with, but they can be augmented with better ones.

-C

Wavelab is exactly what you need for mastering. I can't imagine mastering anything in Acid, mixing maybe, but mastering?

okay cool, that's what I needed to know. thanks

I also just got antares auto tune 4. Now this is probably in another thread somewhere, but I've never used auto tune at all. I'm wondering how self explanatory it is. Only because I have a band to record tomorrow that strictly wants to use auto-tune. (which is why I got it, but I didn't have enough money to get it sooner) So I may be fumbling around with it for a while.

LOLOL!!! you have a band coming in that "strictly" WANTS to use AUTO-TUNE??? have fun with that one!

(not trying to be a dick, this is actually really funny to me)

Farview said:
Wavelab is exactly what you need for mastering. I can't imagine mastering anything in Acid, mixing maybe, but mastering?

Correct me if I'm going about it wrong, but I use ACID to master only because I just need a program to host my Left and Right mono files. I then use the Waves L1 and maybe a few other plug-ins to master. I have no choice to use ACID before going to Wavelab because I record on a stand alone unit, then I bring my Left and Right mono files into my PC. Since Wavelab only hosts Stereo wavs, I have to Master (maybe I'm using the term "Master" wrong here) in ACID, then bring into wavelab to check average and peak levels, etc...Am I doing it wrong?

(Sorry Hubbawho, didn't mean to steal your thread)

actually, can't you just upload your left and right mono channels into a simple program like Cubase LE or something else cheap. And then just save it as a "stereo interleaved" wave file? Then you can upload that new wave into Wavelab and master it all in there. At least I'm assuming.

oh yeah and as for the band. yeah I never really stopped to think about it. But that is rather funny. The singer right off the bat knows that he's not gonna be up to par unless he has some help. And their expectations are so high for this album of theirs that they insisted on having antares auto tune. (they don't even know what it is, they just heard about it) The band is a garage band trying to break through to the next level of "respect", so they think I'm their answer. haha, poor guys. I'm just another fool with a project "studio" who offers his intermediate level engineering skills for a cheap price in my spare time. I guess you can chalk them up to another one of those bands that wants to sound amazing and professional on a 400 dollar budget. whatever, I'll try my best

on an off note. I just purchased a set of Dynaudios for a 1000 bucks yesterday. They were by far the most accurate monitors I heard in the store. any opinions on them?

(sorry RAMI if I stole my thread back. lol)

Hubbawho said:
actually, can't you just upload your left and right mono channels into a simple program like Cubase LE or something else cheap. And then just save it as a "stereo interleaved" wave file? Then you can upload that new wave into Wavelab and master it all in there. At least I'm assuming.

That's pretty much what I'm doing, I just happen to be using ACID instead of CUBASE, which I also have, but it doesn't like my PC for some reason. As far as mastering is concerned, once I'm in ACID, I figure why not just master there. Since I'm using plug-ins like the L1, etc. what difference does it make which program I'm in? I'm far from being an expert at this, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

RAMI said:
That's pretty much what I'm doing, I just happen to be using ACID instead of CUBASE, which I also have, but it doesn't like my PC for some reason. As far as mastering is concerned, once I'm in ACID, I figure why not just master there. Since I'm using plug-ins like the L1, etc. what difference does it make which program I'm in? I'm far from being an expert at this, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Well you said in your earlier post that you bring mastered tracks into Wavelab for analysis. Wavelab has a lot of cool analysis tools. It has specialized fading tools, dithering, sample rate conversion, mp3 encoding . . . It also has the Audio Montage mode, which lets you view an entire CD project at once, and specialized tools for editing the Redbook stuff--PQ codes, track pauses, UPCs--which you can see for the entire project as a whole at the time same you are adding plugins to tracks. It does CD burning and DVD-A burning too!

Basically, it rules!

Also you shouldn't have a problem opening two mono files as a stereo file in Wavelab. Select both files from the File/Open/Wave menu and it opens as a stereo file. :)

Man, I got to look more into that, I might be passing up something really good. I do have the manual, just never read it. It's not Pirated by the way. There was a time when I worked at a music store and ordered everything I thought I needed, and then then never got around to really learning one thing before I bought another. Thanx alot for that info, MS. Looks like I have a new/old toy to play with.

Last edited:
I'll probably start a new thread if I have any more questions. Just wanted to say thanx to you guys who opened my eyes about Wavelab...I just opened 2 mono files in there. That alone means I don't have to use ACID for what I should have been using Wavelab for...Woohoo!!!

Back