How many of you use pitch correction for your own vocals?

Do you use pitch correction on your own vocals?

• I wouldn't touch that shit with a 10-foot pole.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I only use it when absolutely necessary (time constraints, etc.).

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I use it when needed. It's just a tool like EQ, compression, etc.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Yes Please! I'll take all I can!

Votes: 9 11.1%

• Total voters
You are right off track, there is no snobbish conceit involved here ... I never once said that you don't know how to sing, it was you that banged on about chart songs, so I just assumed you did have talent and that was why I asked why you needed to use it, I accepted you knew how to sing?

Alanb:

I fundamentally disagree with you, but the views, not the person.

John

Last edited:
I'll "spot use" it but only when the correction sounds right/better for the mix... and not when it just sounds more in-tune than the original.
What I mean by that is pitch correction can often make things sound perfectly in tune, and at the same time, take away the natural sound of the vocal, the voice, because this ain't opera...this is Rock/Pop music, and the vocal styles of many good singers don't often equal perfect pitch.
So if you just want perfect pitch...you can make that adjustment, but it may actually sound worse than the original in some sections.

My approach is to take the vocal track I'm working on and make a copy of it. I then apply pitch correction to that entire copy.
Then I will listen to the playback with all the backing tracks...in sections...like by phrases or one line of a verse at a time...and do A/B between the original and the pitch-corrected copy, a few times back-n-forth.
If I hear an apparent improvement with pitch in the corrected track for a given section...I'll solo the two tracks and A/B again, and then go back to the full mix, and A/B again...and listen to what exactly is the corrected section doing differently, because it usually changes more than just the pitch.
Very often when doing that...I end up leaving the original WITH the slight off-pitch sound because overall it just sounds more natural .

I'll do that the length of the song, A/B in sections...cut and remove what I don't want to keep. So I may have like one verse where all but one word or phrase is original, and up above it in the corrected track, is that one word/phrase.

Last night I did an entire track...A/B'd in sections, and when I was done...the entire pitch-corrected track was gone.
I found two spots where the correction could have been used...but since it was on a repeating chorus, I was able to instead just copy that from an earlier section of the original track and use it instead of having to pitch correct anything.

On other songs...at most I've ended up with like 1/4 of the vocal track corrected in spots on one song...but usually it's just a few words here and there...and then other times, I end up with no correction at all, and/or the couple of minor issues I find just don't warrant using the correction, as they don't really stick out enough to matter.

Like all the processing and FX and editing and comping...etc..it's just another tool.
You just learn to use all those tools to save something that is otherwise already good...and not to try and completely salvage an entire track that sucks.

I'm gathering that most opinions fall into one of two categories: those who think of it as "just another tool" and those who see it as fundamentally different than other tools like EQ, compression, verb, etc.

Deja vu .... did I already write this in this thread?

When you are at page 37 & 365 posts, nobody reads from the start. Now where is that popcorn,

........ oh here it is

:eatpopcorn:

Pass me a beer please

:drunk:

I think it's all been said by now.

Alan.

I'm Like Stanley Kubrick. Three bazillion takes just to throw them all away and start over and pick the 3rd one two days later.

As a listener, I love good music (not perfect music, good music). It grabs the soul, it communicates. Great vocals are not always in pitch at every step, so for those who make and mix music, just make great tunes for us listeners.

And with that, lots of music is made with mediocre vocalists, and in those cases, if I am going to listen, please correct the pitch! I don't want to hear bad vocals because of some mixers dogmatism. Just make it good plz. :-)

My .02 anyhow

Back