How many of you use pitch correction for your own vocals?

Do you use pitch correction on your own vocals?

• I wouldn't touch that shit with a 10-foot pole.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I only use it when absolutely necessary (time constraints, etc.).

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I use it when needed. It's just a tool like EQ, compression, etc.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Yes Please! I'll take all I can!

Votes: 9 11.1%

• Total voters
Greg puts his foot down about using amp sims

For the one billionth time...I have no problem with sims. I understand their place in this world. I know that some people can't afford real amps or have the living situation where they can blast loud noises at any time. I know that some people don't care one way or the other. My problem with sims are the sim users - the lazy, ignorant sloths that think sims are as good or better than the real amps they're trying to simulate. The good thing about sims is that any monkey can use them. They require no skill or intelligence. If just churning out bad recordings without a care for the art or skill involved with recording real sounds is your thing, sure, use sims. They were made just for you.

For the one billionth time...I have no problem with sims. I understand their place in this world. I know that some people can't afford real amps or have the living situation where they can blast loud noises at any time. I know that some people don't care one way or the other. My problem with sims are the sim users - the lazy, ignorant sloths that think sims are as good or better than the real amps they're trying to simulate. The good thing about sims is that any monkey can use them. They require no skill or intelligence. If just churning out bad recordings without a care for the art or skill involved with recording real sounds is your thing, sure, use sims. They were made just for you.

Totes agree

What I meant is that you put your foot down when it comes to you using sims. You won't do it. Just like you won't use pitch correction.

What I meant is that you put your foot down when it comes to you using sims. You won't do it. Just like you won't use pitch correction.

I won't use pitch correction because I don't need to. It's really not some anti-trickery thing with me. I'm just not concerned with vocals being pitch perfect all the time. I might tune a snare drum for hours to get it just right, but I'll just belt out some vocals and call it good. "Close enough" is fine with me for vocals, whether it's my own or someone else's. It would have to be really bad for me to give a shit. There is a lot of great music featuring singers that aren't that great. Being off a little here and there is human and I'm all about the human element in performance and recording those performances.

Whatever works for you.

I've tried using pitch correction, it does me no good, I can not sing.

As far as the sim argument. I'll use them out of necessity, because I'm a lazy, possess no skills or intelligence. I don't mind churning out bad recordings because I have no regard for the art of recording.

LOL, oh man I crack myself up........

I won't use pitch correction because I don't need to. It's really not some anti-trickery thing with me. I'm just not concerned with vocals being pitch perfect all the time. I might tune a snare drum for hours to get it just right, but I'll just belt out some vocals and call it good. "Close enough" is fine with me for vocals, whether it's my own or someone else's. It would have to be really bad for me to give a shit. There is a lot of great music featuring singers that aren't that great. Being off a little here and there is human and I'm all about the human element in performance and recording those performances.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

With pitch correction, less is more. If you find you need more, do another take. That said, I know artists who love it and use it as an effect or instrument. There's nothing wrong with it when used tastefully either way. But, it's not to be used as a substitute for poor, pitch control human performance. Others say, if you can hear it being used, you're using too much.:eek:

As far as the sim argument. I'll use them out of necessity, because I'm a lazy, possess no skills or intelligence.

I can't agree with the sims are lazy argument. Especially modern modeling units have a very high potential ceiling that is really hard to reach. The sheer amounts of options that you have and have to use to get a fat sound isn't to be underestimated.
Of course, you can use other people's presets and profiles.
I personally can't use somebody else's profile straight up. I have to tweak it. I get to the point where I'm fighting with myself if the "amp sag" should be at 4.0 or 4.2.
You can copy real life presets as well ("57 on axis, knobs set at x y z with V30 speakers for that rock tone you always wanted!") but it just isn't the same as tweaking it yourself. It'll sound fine from the get-go but it will most likely miss what you truly want.

Says who?

Hey, It's OK if you want your vocals to sound weak and phony. Just saying. But I stand corrected jonny. It 'IS' to be used as a substitute for acceptable vocal performances when you want your vocals to sound cheap, weak and phony. :facepalm:

Hey, It's OK if you want your vocals to sound weak and phony. Just saying. But I stand corrected jonny. It 'IS' to be used as a substitute for acceptable vocal performances when you want your vocals to sound cheap, weak and phony. :facepalm:

Lol, I just thought it was funny you stating so vehemently that it is not to be used as such, like you're the audio production authority. Meanwhile, professional productions are chock full of it and many of us here use it where necessary, in flagrant contravention of your directive.

Lol, I just thought it was funny you stating so vehemently that it is not to be used as such, like you're the audio production authority. Meanwhile, professional productions are chock full of it and many of us here use it where necessary, in flagrant contravention of your directive.

Listen to that clip in his sig. It's funny that a guy showcasing a "song" made from nothing but fake instrumentation would care so strongly about pitch correction.

Listen to that clip in his sig. It's funny that a guy showcasing a "song" made from nothing but fake instrumentation would care so strongly about pitch correction.

It's even a bit funnier than that one clip. In his 30+ Soundcloud compositions, I don't think there is a single piece of real vocal/singing anywhere...not to mention, I think most if not all his tracks are pure DI synth-based, and nothing else has been actually recorded live...so the comment about "performance" in his case is limited entirely to the synth keyboard.

I got nothing against MIDI/synth compositions, and he plays well, though it's too easy to get lost in "nothin-but-synth" compositions.
I lived in that alternate universe for a couple of years back in the early '90s when that sound was the rage from late '80s to early '90s (think all the movie theme music from like, Beverly Hills Cop through Miami Vice...lots of the Jan Hammer flavor)...
...but talking about vocal performances and how to treat them, and not actually ever doing any yourself, doesn't really help his point of view. :D

I think this thread is entering an alternate universe... :p

Flagrant contravention of my directive just means you might be ignorant to common sense suggestions and choose to deny any type of directive based upon your rude and pompous character.

"professional productions are chock full of it" LMFAO!!

Flagrant contravention of my directive just means you might be ignorant to common sense suggestions and choose to deny any type of directive based upon your rude and pompous character.

"professional productions are chock full of it" LMFAO!!

Lol, ok.

You don't notice good pitch correction though. That's the whole joke.

My point exactly! If you can notice it, It's over used! That said, you can still be artistically creative with it and actually notice it's being used. That all depends on your 'artistic' prerogatives. I don't believe it was originally engineered for other than subtle pitch correction that can't be notice. Well, at least since Cher.

It's even a bit funnier than that one clip. In his 30+ Soundcloud compositions, I don't think there is a single piece of real vocal/singing anywhere...not to mention, I think most if not all his tracks are pure DI synth-based, and nothing else has been actually recorded live...so the comment about "performance" in his case is limited entirely to the synth keyboard.

I got nothing against MIDI/synth compositions, and he plays well, though it's too easy to get lost in "nothin-but-synth" compositions.
I lived in that alternate universe for a couple of years back in the early '90s when that sound was the rage from late '80s to early '90s (think all the movie theme music from like, Beverly Hills Cop through Miami Vice...lots of the Jan Hammer flavor)...
...but talking about vocal performances and how to treat them, and not actually ever doing any yourself, doesn't really help his point of view. :D

I think this thread is entering an alternate universe... :p

Na, I don't record vocals anymore. I don't need to. I only do instrumental tracks many of you guys can't get your heads around. I started recording vocal tracks years before you guys were even born. Besides, what's so profound about recording vocals tracks over instrumental tracks? To say my instrumental tacks lack dynamics is one thing. But to say the use of vsts and samples is fake is just plain ignorant. Today is where performance and engineering samples are one and the same. Especially if you like what you're hearing. If you don't like my tracks, I'm OK with that. But don't knock the tools used to create music in the digital arena.

but talking about vocal performances and how to treat them, and not actually ever doing any yourself,

I have recorded vocals and hundreds of bands since 1963.

Back