how to make strings sound real?

semsem612

Hi every body, i want my strings to sound realistic what are the steps that can be followed? thanks for caring.

I don't know what you are using to create your string sounds, but there are a few things that you can do:

1 don't play the string sounds like you would play a piano. You need to create specific harmony lines, and not too many of them.

2 you need to understand how strings are used, and try and recreate how a string player would play

3 you need to work the dynamics that a string section would use.

It's impossible to do. Keyboard/midi strings always sound fake. So you need to accept that and embrace the sound or find some musicians who can play the strings you want.

Nothing like the sound of a bow hitting the strings. Its very complex in its nuances.

Nothing like the sound of a bow hitting the strings. Its very complex in its nuances.

That's true, and for solo string instruments, getting that nuance is extremely difficult.

It's impossible to do. Keyboard/midi strings always sound fake. So you need to accept that and embrace the sound or find some musicians who can play the strings you want.

It's difficult, but I don't think impossible. Indeed, I have heard material that uses great samples in very sophisticated ways, and is highly credible.

For the most part, artificial strings will sound, well, artificial. But you can exercise some control over how artificial they sound by the techniques you use.

For the most part, artificial strings will sound, well, artificial. But you can exercise some control over how artificial they sound by the techniques you use.

That's the key. I record one 'instrument' at a time - whether its MIDI or my keyboard's built-in string sounds, rather than playing whole 'string section' chords. I can play the same part (or harmony parts) multiple times, with the natural variation that occurs that way, and then when mixed together its much like multiple instruments playing together.

Last edited:
Just parroting what was said before:

Create a part that a string section would actually play

Use a sample set that actually sounds real and allows you to edit all the variability that strings have.

However, if you are just using the stock string sound on a keyboard, the first suggestion is your only hope.

The suggestion of playing all the strings individually is good in theory, but might not get you the desired result. I did an album where an entire orchestra was done like this. 70+ tracks of individual instruments.

The problem I ran into was, the samples of a single violin were miced from a close difference, while you would normally mic a string section from relatively far away. So I ended up with something that sounded like I tracked all the instruments individually, instead of recording the orchestra as a whole.

I had to eq the snot out of everything and do a lot of things with reverbs to get it to sound kind of like everything was played together in the same room at the same time.

One common error is to have the same attack througout a song. Sometimes that's okay (e.g. if the strings are just background "washes"). But often you want some to mix staccato and legato phrases. As mentioned above, you can also layer multiple instruments (samples or soundfonts) - a cello, a violin, etc.

-Stay away from synthesized strings, you will never make a synth sound realistic.
-Triggered samples sound half real if everything is left untouched, eg:velocity is the same throughout.
-Make sure no midi notes are overlapping
-Dynamics
-Take into account sections where the player would have to take a breath (strings are excluded I guess)
-you can simulate slight finger movements by setting the mod wheel on your keyboard to a pitch mod at the end of notes
-ARTICULATION!

In the past I've faked a string section by using a violin playing friend of mine and multi tracking him. It lacks some of the depth you'd get from an quartet with a cellist, but definitely sounds more like real strings than anything I could do with samples.

Back