How to get a wide vocal sound in mixing?

Double track them, and pan them separately. Or do 3 takes, keep one in the middle, and 2 on each side. Keep the volume down on the ones you're panning, so it doesn't sound like different tracks. The idea is to get a full sound without making it sound messy. Goes without saying, the vocal performance has to be pretty tight to pull it off.

you'd be amazed how much vocal takes are in pop songs these days. Do lots of layering and harmonies and work with panning. You can never have to many vocal takes to play with its up to you to mix them in right. I was amazed when i saw how much layering was going on in top 50 music, until i saw it for myself

Jimmys69 I Agree. Even more so when you have tight double (or triple) tracked vocals and apply this effect to multiple tracks, it can produce huge space. Multiple tracks provide greater flexibility since you can not only alter each tracks respective delay times, you can apply different reverbs to each, blending to taste

But like you said, it really depends on what you’re going after.

Record your vocal twice and then hard pan L and R. You want very consistent recordings if your singer is able to do this.
Adding different time of delays on L and R can widen more so, and different EQ setting on L and R can also widen more.

G

Record your vocal twice and then hard pan L and R. You want very consistent recordings if your singer is able to do this.
Adding different time of delays on L and R can widen more so, and different EQ setting on L and R can also widen more.

G

That is just crazy talk! lol!

Don't give away all the secrets!!!!!

:D

You can 2 two things which yields very different results...
Multiple takes panned left and right. Feels like an orchestra...
Or use delays and reverbs or chorus...

Back