How to get so FAT sounding chorus?

Guys thanks everyone for your response. I will try to get sound that I want!

Hey mortes!

Great to hear back from you.

So have you experimented with any of the ideas given yet?

I am genuinely curious. I am sure others are as well.

:)

Sadly but not yet, I've waited for my mic to arrive. In the next couple days i'll try these ideas.
To be honest I dont really understand how to use low pitch generator along with the vocal to make it work. But we'll see.
Thanks everyone, i'll be glad to hear new ideas guys, feel free to share:)

I'm surprised that nobody has, or did I read past any post, that addresses compression/limiting? The first thing that I would think of for an in-your-face vocal is a good mic, good preamp AND A KILLER LEVELING AMPLIFIER like an LA-2A or 1176LN.

I'm surprised that nobody has, or did I read past any post, that addresses compression/limiting? The first thing that I would think of for an in-your-face vocal is a good mic, good preamp AND A KILLER LEVELING AMPLIFIER like an LA-2A or 1176LN.

That would likely be because that was not what seemed like the OP's question was about when listening to his link he wished to sound like.

Advising use of (expensive) software or hardware to throw at the issue though, is likely not what the OP was asking for. Nor would it help in this situation IMO.

I will say that compression will play a huge part in any vocal, but that was just not the question asked.

We could spend years going through every aspect of how to get a good vocal track. This thread does not seem to need that...

"FAT" in music is quite subjective. In my book, a FAT vocal sound is obtained through compression. A PULTEC type EQ boost in the 100Hz region will also help "FATTEN" a vocal take quite a bit. The OP was asking how to get a FAT vocal sound and nowhere was it sugested that price was an object. Didn't you advise the use of a plugin to throw at the issue a few posts back?

We could spend years going through every aspect of how to get a good vocal track. A FAT vocal track, might only need eq and compression

"FAT" in music is quite subjective. In my book, a FAT vocal sound is obtained through compression. A PULTEC type EQ boost in the 100Hz region will also help "FATTEN" a vocal take quite a bit. The OP was asking how to get a FAT vocal sound and nowhere was it sugested that price was an object. Didn't you advise the use of a plugin to throw at the issue a few posts back?

We could spend years going through every aspect of how to get a good vocal track. A FAT vocal track, might only need eq and compression

Umm... Dood. Chill..

No, the OP was asking how to get a similar sound to a link that he posted. 'Fat' was just a word he used.

If you read the thread and (as all of us who replied did) understood what he was looking for, then you wouldn't be stating this now.

Yeah, I recommended a plugin that was free at the time of the OP's post. It was a free option to get him something that seemed similar to the effect he was wishing to recreate.

Please take the time to read what the OP was looking for and answer directly.

What you're saying is completely arbitrary. The chorus' effect is not unique, but it's quite uncommon. Compression/limiting is on so many tracks, and all they do is make the loud sounds quieter and the quiet sounds louder.

An in-your-face vocal mic? What does that even mean? Can you name some?

Good preamp? Oh okay.

LA-2A or 1176LN? Like we all have money to spend on those ridiculously priced machines. They don't even address the effect OP was asking for.

Ok, now I made it past the first 10 seconds of the russian rap, to the vocoder/synth effect.

My bad, I was only able to tolerate a few seconds of it when I first heard it and since it was supposed to be a capella, didn't bother to hear any further.

In any case, I still think that a good leveling amplifier will get the vocal sound fatter and more in your face.

I never said an in-your-face vocal mic, I said that for an in-your-face vocal take you need a good mic, a good preamp but that wont do the deed unless you have a good leveling amplifier.

I said LIKE an LA-2a or 1176LN, I never said go buy a vintage Teletronix or a REV E 1176. You can get very decent plugins (UAD for example) for a few hundred dollars.

I get put OFF really QUICKLY when the occasional word is CAPITALISED.

Sometimes shouting isn't enough. If you could stoop so far as to point for me as well, that'd really help.

I THINK that you ARE not getting THE point, Steenmaroo.

He's SAYING that there should BE some comprehension/LIMITING in the track.

:D

Guys we can open nevereding conversation about how to get FAT sound straight from the mic,using neverending list of expensive gear.
What I asked here, is how to recreate the effect in samples I posted. The question was about mixing techniques that may help me get similar effect. In the sample I posted I like the vibration of the voice that makes it feel like the chest boomy, bassy voice. The artist doesn't actually have this voice, so I was surprised when i heard this track. So I really want to know similar technique that can make not bassy and boomy voice sound like this. And overall stereo feeling of the chorus are full and got cool vibration.

Back