How to get so FAT sounding chorus?

Well, that was god awful to listen to.

My guess, it sounds like there's a bit of auto-tune to get the pitch just right. Then, there seems to be a low growly synth playing along to the pitch.

A lot like using a low pitch signal generator with a kick drum to get a bigger sound.

Thnx for the reply. Any ideas about how many times voice were rerecorded and layered with different panning and position in space?

Adding in parts after recording will get you some of the way, but its trying to fix something broken.
If a chorus lacks energy even when doubling parts etc, it's quite often down to the arrangement/harmonisation. Sit down and work it through and that will get you further than just adding extra synth parts doubling existing harmonies.

I'm trying to get same fatness even doubling the track using different eq's and panning and cant get it...

Doubling a track? You mean copying the same one twice? That won't work. Copying a track just gives you a louder version of the original. You can nudge the time a bit and it almost, kind of works but it's by far the worst way to go.

The best way to fatten things up and give them a nice spread is overdubbing the parts several times. For example, sing the Chorus 3 times and then Pan them, Left, Right and Centre, or sing twice and Pan Left and Right. Play around with the panning until you get a nice sounding mix.

:thumbs up:

I just installed the free Soundtoys plugin 'Little AlterBoy Plug In'. It is kind of a vocoder thing that can make similar sounds. It may get you closer.

Worth a try for free anyway. :)

IMO best way to get fat chorus is record, record, record and record some more. Pan, make each one like you are singing with it, even if it is the same pitch it will be different. I have recorded as many as 8 tracks to get it to sound fat. If you go odd number of tracks, one is in the middle. But usually I let the lead vocal stay in the middle, then the chorus parts go equal amounts left/right. first two track 15% L/R, second set 30% or something along those lines.

Don't think you can't record yourself many times. That is the beauty of digital. We have as many tracks as required.

Yes, many different tracks and good panning will get a fat chorus, but the chorus OP posted is quite different. There is very clearly a bassy synth that can be heard there. If it's not a synth, it's definitely a manipulated vocoder like effect. I wouldn't be surprised if there are only 3 or 4 voices there, and if you take the synth/vocoder effect out, it wouldn't sound "fat" at all.

The plug-in that Jimmy posted will probably give near similar results.

Thanks everyone.
CrowsofFritz
Maybe you know some tutorial where the synth were used in the vocal mixing. Or maybe any suggestions where I can get synth with sound similar to the synth in posted acapella.

Try that vocoder plugin Jimmy suggested. From the chorus you posted, it sounded like the pitches were matched perfectly with one track being an octave or two lower.

Sounds just like a bass synth following the vocal melody, multi-tracked, to me. What Crows said.

And no, I can't tell you, or link you to tutorials that tell you, how to find and/or use a VST synth, bass or otherwise / follow a vocal melody / multi track vocals. Thank you for not asking.:thumbs up:

Sounds just like a bass synth following the vocal melody, multi-tracked, to me. What Crows said.

That is pretty much what that plugin does. It synthesizes the vocal with pitch variation and whatever to get that sound without adding a synth. Not sure it will get what he wants exactly but just a suggestion that may work.

I messed with LAB for maybe 5 minutes and heard something very similar to what I hear on the OP's posted track.

Amazing what they will do to try to make the vocals sound good ......... and it still did not work???

Alan.

Any tutorial about how to use low pitch signal generator?

Try using this, the plugin is free till april 1st and it's easy to use, check it out:

Use the mix knob for parallel processing.
Blend the non-affected with the effected signal.

Last edited:
Back