how to get more volume out of my mixes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimistone

long standing member
How do you guys get the high volume levels in your mixes?
I will have what seems like a good mix, and I raise the level of the stereo mix as high as it will go without clipping. But, to no avail, almost every other mix I here in the clinic is louder than mine.

Here is an example of a remix I just did last night

https://m.soundcloud.com/jimistone/driving-while-blind-remix

Any pointers would be GREATLY appreciated

How do you guys get the high volume levels in your mixes?
I will have what seems like a good mix, and I raise the level of the stereo mix as high as it will go without clipping. But, to no avail, almost every other mix I here in the clinic is louder than mine.

Here is an example of a remix I just did last night

https://m.soundcloud.com/jimistone/driving-while-blind-remix

Any pointers would be GREATLY appreciated
Jimi.

You need a look-ahead master limiter on your mix if you want to get the volume up. There are probably a few free ones out there, but I'm not sure which ones. A master limiter will usually use an automatic make-up gain, so it will limit your peaks and bring the overall average level up.

I'm sure if you Google something like "Free master limiter", you'll get tons.

Last edited:
I use a combination of PSP Vintage Warmer and Voxengo's Elephant, although I would call my mixes overly louder than yours.

Thanks Rami and Mr Clean. I haven't tried any kind of limiting on the entire mix...just on individual tracks

I export to .wav and then apply my "primitive" mastering/limiting/compressing to that in a new project. That's where my volume comes from. My mix down is usually a lot quieter than what you've put up.

I export to .wav and then apply my "primitive" mastering/limiting/compressing to that in a new project. That's where my volume comes from. My mix down is usually a lot quieter than what you've put up.

So, you export the mix before you use the limiter?

Ok, let me see if I have this correct...
You export the mix as a wav, then create a new project in your DAW and I guess you import the stereo mix that you exported, as an audio mixdown, into the "new project"?
Wouldn't it be easier to put a limiter on thr mix before exporting?

Forgive my ignorance. I'm not patronizing you...I really am this dumb about mixing.

So, you export the mix before you use the limiter?

I do. I render a mix with nothing on the master bus and I call it "The song name, un-mastered" and put that in my "Un-mastered" folder. This is a 24bit wave file.

Then, I open a new project, and "master" that. This is where I put the limiter on the mix. I then render a 24bit wave file, a 16 bit wave file, and 320kps Mp3.

How to get more volume??? Hmmmmmm. Turn it up?:D

Just kidding with you, listen to the other guys, not me.:thumbs up:

I use Cubase, so I don't get the option to make MP3's. But, if I were able to mixdown to an MP3, I would put the limiter on the master bus. As it is, I mixdown to a wav file then import it into Wavelab Elements and put a limiter on it, then burn the MP3.

If your DAW can render MP3s, then just put the limiter on the master bus.

I use Cubase, so I don't get the option to make MP3's. But, if I were able to mixdown to an MP3, I would put the limiter on the master bus. As it is, I mixdown to a wav file then import it into Wavelab Elements and put a limiter on it, then burn the MP3.

I use cubase too

How do you convert to MP3s? You can still use the limiter on the master bus and render to a wav file. Then use whatever you have to convert to an MP3.

I use the limiter in Izotope's Ozone plug.

I "master" on the stereo bus without exporting, in case my attempts highlight something that needs mix fixin' - it is, after all, pretty easy to turn whatever I put there off - but this is more as a result of me not being a great mixer or masterer, and not having a great room to listen in, than being something I'd recommend to others... :)

I am confused. Full versions of Cubase have included ability to export MP3's. Even LE versions, you can pay $16 for the license for the converter. HERE

Back on topic, there are a number of free limiters that will allow you to get the 'volume' up. Some work better than others.

Fabfilter Pro-L is the best sounding master limiter I have owned. It is also the most expensive I have purchased.

You can send me a wav file of a mix and I will make it as loud as possible for you. Free by the way. :)

Loudest is not always and usually not best. It depends on the material. But then I am still just going on what works for myself.

I track in Reaper, render to a stereo file with nothing on the master bus.

I do topping, tailing and volume adjusting in Soundforge.

When I'm happy with that, I convert to mp3 in Reaper if I need to send it anywhere.

I track in Reaper, render to a stereo file with nothing on the master bus.

I do topping, tailing and volume adjusting in Soundforge.

When I'm happy with that, I convert to mp3 in Reaper if I need to send it anywhere.

I am curious more than anything here.

Why the stages of opening in other DAW's to make this happen in your setup?

Four reasons mainly:

1 force of habit (I used to use Logic for tracking, Soundforge for mastering).

2 the two particular tools that are present in Soundforge but I haven't found in Reaper, i.e. RMS normalisation, and RMS analysis.

3 the sense of separation it gives between mixing and mastering (this is more a psychological thing)

4 in SF I can load a CD's worth of tracks, and click and play instantly on each to get a sense of relative levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back