How George Massenburg feels about Tannoy Monitors

LooneyTunez

Found an interesting thread on another forum I was checking out, and thought you guys would be interesting in seeing what George Massenburg had to say about Tannoy Monitors (in general).

My opinion is...For 20 years Tannoy has been utterly disconnected from the professional market, at least as far as those of use who have used the SBM and SGM 10 go. The arrogance of this company has been truly staggering; they have completely ignored what we've been using these speakers for, and have made no worthwhile gesture towards supporting us. I mean, to this day I use old Tannoy 10's with Mastering Lab crossovers as my reference monitors. God help me when I need a recone.

I suppose there are some folks out there that like the new stuff. I don't. But, then again, noone asked me.

I hope that TC Electronic brings a new vision to this myopic bunch of goofballs.

George

Just FYI, I don't share this opinion, as I don't have any real experience with Tannoy's. Just putting this up FWIW.

Last edited:
He's not the only one with that opinion. Seems the older Tannoy stuff is highly regarded by engineers and audiophiles alike. However the newer stuff doesn't get rated near as high.

tannoy SBM's

I swear by these myself, I have a pair.

For what I paid, the response and clarity of true playback is
unmeasurable. I can play my mixes anywhere and they
reflect ABSOLUTELY the same as they way I mixed them home

I played back on MACKIE HR824 & GENELEC

so it doesnt matter of the MONITOR just the MAKER behind the MONITOR who listens and understands them

*I* Share his opinion!

Tannoys are ASS! They suck!

I mastered about 4 projects using Tannoys before we got JBL studio monitors again.

What utter pieces of SHITE!

Hey weapon X

I was just wondering what type of projects you mastered with the Tannoys.

Also, to anyone who knows, are the Reveals of the newer or the older bunch of Tannoys?

I gotz no 'plaints with mine though I cross ref with Event 20's!
Eventually I'll add a 3rd pair, preferably hi-end,studio-standard
references as I believe monitors are the most underated,yet most critical tool in mixing and mastering!

Since Ole George, is gettin up there in years, maybe his "Golden Ears" MITE be suffering some sort of gradual degradation!
Shoot, what the heck do I know!:) :) :)

It's all subjective anyway...if you know how all of your records sound on a certain set of monitors, then you should be able to make your mix sound the same way on that set of monitors.

...It's all what you're used to...

i agree darth...it is all about what you are used to
i have a pair of active reveals that i use as my monitors, but also as my main speakers for casually listening to music.... i think they are great, and since i live near the canadian distributor of tannoy, they were about $100 cdn less than other places i went to out of town! :D
i almost bought an old tannoy PA (from 1983) a while back, it was from the wildcat series. what a great sounding rig! it seemed like it had a lot of power, but when i checked the specs i was surprised, the ratings were really low (around 200 to 300 watts peak a cabinet....). and it was not like the guy had really good gear running the thing (old fostex mixer, old peavey amp). i was really impressed, but he was asking way too much money.

Back