How to fix amateurish mixes?!

Tan0123

I've remake a short drop section of "tsunami by dvbbs" , mp3 file is attached below.
My mix still sound amateurish, how do I further improve?!?!
I mix fully ITB.

Attachments

• tsunami remake.mp3
    347.5 KB · Views: 20
Hello Tan-There is an mp3 mixing clinic where people can get there mixes listened to, you might want to post this there. I listened to the clip and even though its out of my genre and short, it sounded lacking in the bass, i expected my sub to be rumbling but it didn't budge. My suggestion would be to check this mp3 mix against your studio monitors to see if your bass is translating correctly and adjust your listening environment accordingly. If they sound close to identical i would say you're getting the sound you want and there's no reason to refer to your mix as amateurish. The level could certainly come up, see what your highest peak is and increase the whole track to make the highest point right near 0 is another suggestion.

There is no one secret to elevating your mix techniques to advanced levels. You are doing the right step by asking how to improve though. I will share what bits of knowledge I have acquired with you...

1. Take breaks when you are working on your mix for too long. Often, returning from your breaks will allow you to fix things that seemed obvious.

2. Start from zero and turn every track volume all the way down. Gradually bring in each instrument until you find the right sound you are looking for.

3. Turn the volume to a barely audible level and see what stands out. By doing this myself on your song, I can tell that you have the high synth too loud compared to the bass.

4. Experiment with panning. Having an instrument panned differently can have a tremendous impact on your song.

Back