How effective is room correction software?

I know there are a lot of factors in trying to get a 'flat' room, and I know no room is truly flat but is there anything to the room correction software that's out there? Or is it all hype? My room is treated and my measurements are OK, I'm wondering if I should just focus on using references when mixing to achieve balanced mixes or try to get my room as flat as possible, what are your thoughts? Thanks in advance

The inherent problem is that what it (room "correction") does is that it makes your system *less* accurate than it might already be to "hide" the problems. Depending on the system, possibly only in one point in space -- One foot away from that space could have a completely different (even totally opposite) response. And the systems that take multiple measurements all over the space apply a "general" setting that basically, leaves the room to do what it was doing in the first place while "hiding" *all* the issues in *all* points in space.

Those problems are still there -- You just can't hear them anymore.

For PA and home theatre systems, that might not be a big deal. When the goal is to hear everything as accurately as possible, IMO/E, it goes the wrong way.

On the flip side -- If the room is actually reasonably well treated and your measurements are reasonable but you want the system to have a different sound, then using an EQ on the mains isn't completely out of the question.

Room correction isn't about flat, it's about minimizing the room so you can hear what is going on. Still, the EQ tools can be useful. If you get a mid-hi boost from that wall or window, you can treat that, rather than use EQ.

I wouldn't buy any software, but just run your own tests. That part can be very worthwhile

I have found that:

a) if you have treated the room as much as you can. (maybe you are renting or whatever)... and
b) your mixes are not translating well..

then

c) it is time for room correction software, which can make your life so much better.

Is it limited?
Yes, of course. As MM said, it really fixes your listening position. It is no replacement for better acoustic treatment.

But- in those circumstances- it kills, and can make a suboptimal situation usable.
To that end- Sonarworks reference 3 is the bomb.

Room correction isn't about flat, it's about minimizing the room so you can hear what is going on. Still, the EQ tools can be useful. If you get a mid-hi boost from that wall or window, you can treat that, rather than use EQ.

I wouldn't buy any software, but just run your own tests. That part can be very worthwhile

Yes. Do the measurements (REW is dirt cheep. You'll need a decent mic and have to do this in either case.
Once you see the (not encouraging!) results, and how they vary hugely, and differently with every change in position -listener's or mic placement- you'll see what 'eq'ing room is up against.

add.. And given these huge peak and dip variables, how does 'correlating multiple sample points relate? -example, It's +15 @ x freq 'here, but -15 @ x freq 'there, what? Leave it flat for a 'best of average?

Well, if you look at the sonarworks page, they don't even mention distortion
Do they mention long resonances that eq doesn't fix?

I like the idea of 'correction for head phones. I might try that one at some point.

For me, I don't, particularly, mind a little EQ. If you are looking at 5/6db and more, I think you have to work on a plan that makes EQ minimal and only on non critical areas.

Distortion is whatever is not in the signal. Commonly, with speakers, smearing, etc.. A good will be more accurate, but any old mic should be able give you useful data- for example, a sweep at the speaker and a sweep at the listening position comparison

Good replies. The measurements aren't bad, I'm just always looking to improve. Of course I don't want to create a whole new set of problems. So far reference tracks have helped alot, along with just knowing my speakers. I've heard that listening at lower volumes during mixing can make it to where the room has less influence on what u hear, u agree?

I've heard that listening at lower volumes during mixing can make it to where the room has less influence on what u hear, u agree?
No.

The nerdy measurement stuff is fun, but what actually matters is how it sounds and how it works for you. Even if the thing was perfectly flat, you'd still have to learn what that means. If it was actually completely dead, you'd probably hate it and almost might as well get a good set of headphones.

By all means, do what you can with acoustic treatment. I suppose if a little bit of speaker/room correction helps, then have at it.

You still need to know what that means and how it relates to the rest of the world. That means listening a lot, and mixing a lot, and referencing on other systems a lot until you can be confident that you know what things are supposed to sound like on your system.

I thought we were talking about "correcting" a mix room. We do that so we can actually hear what's in the recording itself without the room we're in (whether that's actually the same as the tracking room or not) influencing our mix decisions.

Correcting speakers is doable. As long as nothing is missing you can correct their frequency response to some degree. Correcting for a room with reflection issues is a rabbit hole.

I know there are a lot of factors in trying to get a 'flat' room, and I know no room is truly flat but is there anything to the room correction software that's out there? Or is it all hype? My room is treated and my measurements are OK, I'm wondering if I should just focus on using references when mixing to achieve balanced mixes or try to get my room as flat as possible, what are your thoughts? Thanks in advance

Well if your room is treated properly, you don't need it. But its a good test to see if you need to apply acustical treatment so that the node area (the place in the room where all frequencies have the same power) is established. I don't subscribe to the EQ for the monitors clan. Because 9 times out of 10, your mastering engineer has to undo that eq in the master (which is a great pain and why Massive got sensitive to this subject)

Well technically, I'm fine with putting an EQ in the monitoring chain if it needs it -- But not for room correction.

From what I have heard, REW is a good program to do what you are asking and its free. If nothing else, you may get a better understanding of your room. Here is a video as well.

Ya, that and Arc are good to get people measuring. The old hardware units would let you store and recall a correction

I have a room that was designed by a studio designer and built for mixing and mastering. Yet I still use sonarworks. It helps tame a bump I have around 180hz I can't seem to get rid of, and tighten's up a few other spots. I only use it on my Barefoot speakers, not my ns-10s. I also treat it as "another set of speakers" if you will. It works for me, and I recomend it to a lot of my clients.

Back