How did they get the "Heart is a Drum" (Beck) sound?

SantiB

That guitar sounds so warm and beautiful. Any idea about the recording technique? and mixing? thanks!

he plays a martin d-28. it sounds like a condenser mic on it. probably several mics to get the detail.

the drums sound like they were recorded with minimal mic techniques, probably using 4 mics at a guess, sounds like ribbon mics, it's certainly a dark sound and mellow, could even be recorded to tape, there isn't much high end there. At a guess the acoustic guitar sounds like an sm57, it doesn't have the normal high end sheen. My guess is that the album was recorded to tape and mixed through a console, possibly mastered to tape as well, it sounds very analog, but I could be wrong, they might have just mixed it to sound like tape and it's digital.

This one, I do believe m-s drums with a few Sm7 and a ribbon. Mixed and recorded at Capital and using basement chamber #2 by the sounds of it.

I think they used a sony cg800 on vocals and guitar.

You mean a C800g? I like those things.

Like the Brauner VMA a tad better though... $8-10K range, also like the Blue Bottle, but only if you get the whole cap kit :D

Sounds like there's an upright bass doubling the bass notes of the guitar? And maybe just mic the guitar close and squash it good.

Back