How To Check : Listening Room Frequency Response is Balanced ?

Some people in the world just babble. Even if the one babbling is intelligent, on a technical forum, it's always a good idea to not come across as a retard.
:D

Some people in the world just babble. Even if the one babbling is intelligent, on a technical forum, it's always a good idea to not come across as a retard.

Right...

I also meant no disrespect to garww personally. I am just confused reading his posts at times. I completely respect when he offers good advice.

Cheers garww!

That's no problem. I just counted 32 cats here at home who like to whine all day. I guess I was down to 25 before the new ones arrived : ) As one said in the cute kitty thread; "That's a lot of poop"

That's no problem. I just counted 32 cats here at home who like to whine all day. I guess I was down to 25 before the new ones arrived : ) As one said in the cute kitty thread; "That's a lot of poop"

Ok well...

I am now confirmed that you are a crazy mofo! lol!

So I am very curious about you and why you post this way. I am vaguely aware of the things you have gone through in regards to your health and I am sorry for that, but what moves you to post stuff like this on a technical forum?

I do not dislike you in any way. Strangely many of us have been enlightened when you are clear, and entertained when you are not so much.

What gives garww? And what is your name? I would personally like to meet you sir. :)

:wtf::laughings::laughings:

Haha. More cryptic bullshit.

But I gotta hand it to you, clever way of saying that you're annoyed with some people here.

Hey, I think most of us would like if you wrote in clear understandable English and actually stayed consistent with the topic at hand.

Well, how many posts are off-topic since #60 ? Stay on topic, or there's hell to pay : )

Getting back to the thread, I had posted a freq. analyzer sweep graph of my Minimus 7 free standing some while back. Feel free do do the same and show us how well your room is working. You should also run a sweep of the second speaker at that same location to see how well they match. You can use any "best" location for that.

Anyway, I'm sure the OP would like to see the sweeps generated when YOU were setting your monitors up. We'll see how they stack up a ancient $50 speaker

This isn't a pic of that test. I know I didn't get a 1-meter distance. I think I stuck a Min 7 on the deck and separated them as much as I could.
5315036192_d1d2957c1c.jpg

Is the OP still here or have they run a mile by now :facepalm:

Alan.

I would have left by choice if I were new here...

Good and bad information has been given.

I never got along with my gramps. He once told me I reminded him of a fish he once had. Only the fish didn't talk so much. Feels oddly familiar here...

I noted a comment somewhere in this thread that you shouldn't EQ monitors to compensate for a bad room. That said, many reputable manufacturers put "room control" cut and boost switches on the back of their monitors for that very purpose.

Any thoughts?

I noted a comment somewhere in this thread that you shouldn't EQ monitors to compensate for a bad room. That said, many reputable manufacturers put "room control" cut and boost switches on the back of their monitors for that very purpose.

Any thoughts?
Yes. The controls/switches on the back of many monitors are usually 'shelving' filters. That is they shift the response up or down in the HF or LF region as a whole. They are normally very mild in effect compared to 'EQ' controls often just + or - 2dB at say 3kHz or 60Hz.

Such controls are intended to correct for broad room characteristics. A very heavily carpeted and curtained room with a lot of soft furnishing will be 'dim' i.e. lacking HF. A minimalist room all glass and chrome will be very bright. These are not 'room modes' just response trends.

The LF compensation is to correct for the space into which the speaker radiates. 'Free' would be well away from all boundaries except floor. Next comes close to a wall which gives about a 3dB bass boost and (diety forbid!) in a corner where LH gets a 6dB boost. Again, a wide band trend NOT a peak or dip at a specific frequency which is what 'graphics' attempt to fix.

Not a TOTALLY Iron clad rule but as you move up to more expensive 'pro' monitors you tend to find such controls are missing. 'They' expect their customers to have pretty 'flat' rooms!

Dave.

powered monitors can also build in EQ (non-user) to meet design/marketing spec.

Now, Room EQ has been around the hi-fi world a long time. If you close the curtains at night in the listening room and suddenly the flute recedes into the weave, then that is a reason to boost that range a bit. On its own, the flute can blow your tweeters. And now you want to boost it : )

With hardware, EQ can just sound BAD and you may not want any part of it. As far as the balanced freq. response in the listening room goes, there aren't a lot of other options.

I would call what Dave talks about to be placement EQ. Engineers may want to sit right where the monitoring sounds the worst.

Older speakers and monitors could have broad band EQ for the mids and highs with Level-Pad controls.

Bad Room in the sense of nulls and wave propagation, you probably don't want go there with EQ. That is room treatment - less about frequencies and more about the sound quality of what hits the ear.

Placement is your friend

wow... so tell me how you all feel about using pitch correction on vocals.

-
Full Disclosure: I have stuffed ports. T-shirts.

Back