How To Check : Listening Room Frequency Response is Balanced ?

Stuff them with your underwear if you really want to have control your low end.

Well, the tannoy are stored in the bedroom now and last night I noticed there was foam in there. The thing with the shopping bag is that it is easier to moderate the amount of restriction. This wasn't a pumping port and I didn't find clean airflow to be essential

I hope the OP understands the toilet paper was done by pro's and all that..ahaha if not he might be raising his eyebrows about right now reading the responses and suggestions with plastic shopping bags and toilet paper recommendations and underwear jokes....

when asking about ideas to balance out the room...aha

not that theres anything wrong with HeeHaw where men are lazy and women are all in heat.

Attachments

• heehaw studio.png
    heehaw studio.png
    184.4 KB · Views: 6
You know I wasn't serious...right?

Please don't loose any sleep over internet talk : ) I first started running BBS in '87 - a file server and a chat board. A good way to meet low-level chick programmers. I've used underwear out of my rag bag to stuff holes, for sure : )

Ya, don't try the toilet paper thing thing at home. The one instance on record was undertaken by a highly trained professional and all safety precautions were taken.

I think we decided( over at that other place) soft flesh was the best room treatment - Daisy-Mae type

Hey guys, so bad, I'm confusing now, and you play jokes on me? Hahaha...

Does it mean, I can do nothing to the speakers or room, cope it instead?

Speaker Boundary Interference Response
Speaker Placement 101: How to Fight Boundary Interference
Read options 1 and 2; Flush mount best but we're not going to do that are we :>)
#2 'As close to the back wall as possible.
Why? It moves the frequency dip you will have up into a range that can be treated (minimized) with reasonable thickness 703 behind the speaker.
Your dip at 21" appears to be at 300Hz. Move that to 4" it moves up to over a thousand Hz.

And that's all well and good, but then you add SBIR for floor ceiling and side walls.. and your room modes!
Any way, at least this gives a handle on that one aspect ;)

You can have a dip at 300, it depends on what it is. You can work off the MIC measurements for a plan of attack. It was much, much cheaper for me to get a EQ for that one problem area

Attachments

• adc_eq_crop.jpg
    adc_eq_crop.jpg
    595 KB · Views: 5
A fixed band eq? :o
Don't worry anyway. In small mostly untreated rooms, unless you keep you head in a vise all them different gotchas' gonna add up to a huge complicated pile no eq could ever 'track' :>)

haha. fixed band has done well for me since the late '70s. Many still sound like shit and that can be reason enough to toss them, but for mixing it can sound like shit and be fine. I used a auto EQ for installations as a starting point always working on placement. For having something cheap I can switch in for my 90-180Hz area, it was quick and easy. I'm not a fan of eq for most things, but it seemed the logical choice after my measurements.

Seriously, this needs to end. You can't make speakers fake a room that doesn't sound good. No monitor is going to be absolute accurate in any case. But I sure the hell won't stuff shit in mine to make amends.

Acoustically treat the room as best as you can and listen on other systems if your room is not ideal. Make the best of what you have. If you take the time to learn what you are hearing in the environment you are limited to, you will figure it out on your own. It gonna take a few years before someone new to recording/mixing even gets to the point of applying their experience in a way that they realize makes sense.

See, that won't even make sense to a newbie, but garww you are making it even harder for the new guys to understand...Please stop being so vague and abstract.

This is a site about home recording. Mostly members younger than us. Let's try to be helpful and not digress with banter that isn't educating others on point.

I bet you don't have kids. Just guessing.

That site has a lot of good info...I subscribed to it awhile ago because of the very cool fractal diffuser designs...now he sends me regular emails with new info and design variations...but I still haven't decided if I want to try building one of those types of diffusers....a bit more involved than your typical "skyline" type...but the fractal diffusers are way cool and they appear to work really well looking at the simulations.

So the funny thing in that ^^^ article...that room frequency response graphic with the huge null at around 125Hz...I've seen a lot of guys post up their room measurements, and almost all of them have the same huge null in that 100-150Hz range.
It appears to be a very common null with most smaller rooms, no matter the monitor setup.

I jumped back into this whole mess recently -again :rolleyes: to see if and by how much I might go forward here in my two rooms. I had REW and quite a few measurements, but got turned on the their 'Room Simulator tool this time around.
Room Simulator
It's set up as if for sub placement.. but run the Low Pass filter up and use it for your full range speaker (one, or two, all be it only up to 250Hz or so.
You can even single out walls or floor, ceiling to include vs the composite.

I guess you can take all this stuff with a grain of salt', but try it. It's fuke'ing depressing. Their ain't no 'great spot'.

But hey, like the man said, we do with what we got. We endeavor to persevere. :D And make good music.

Ya, there is no end to perfection, but one only needs what they need. I'm not surprised some people buy mixing nearfields because they sound good. hahaha Or, as posted in a recent thread; .."no other 5-inch has this low response" (my words, not his). Might of been the JBL, I'd have to remember to be sure.

Ya, Miro. my room is 8x10. I'm 5'8" and can almost palm the ceiling. I'm using the long wall and I'm sitting at about 1-foot off the 4-foot deep desk. Sides are piled high and my back wall is separating 2-foot of half-bath and closet. So, for bass, the null works off the "partition" and outside wall. I had about a 4dB boost at 90 and a 3dB cut at 180. Either way, I never kept the EQ in, just a check

Ya, I looked at REW when it came out, but I had already been doing that since the early '80s. I didn't have a pointy measurement MIC when I did the Tannoy, though.

All that stuff is worth a look.

Ya, I looked at REW when it came out, but I had already been doing that since the early '80s. I didn't have a pointy measurement MIC when I did the Tannoy, though.

All that stuff is worth a look.

:>) One of my first major purchases were a pair of QTC-1's. Took a while but they've earned their keep long time ago.

Hadn't thought about it, but I bet you don't need super flat mic to measure 20 and 30dB peaks and dips :>)

I had REW and quite a few measurements, but got turned on the their 'Room Simulator tool this time around.

Yeah, I played around with that for a bit a couple of weeks ago, and wanting to get some measurements before I built my new bass traps.

It's pretty sobering when you see that bigger room dimensions alone don't really help much...until you start getting out to 30' lengths and 12' ceilings or more...and even then, you're still gonna need treatment.

So I've been messing around with my new mega-bass traps the last few days...actually doing some position test measurements tonight, as I would like to get some working setup so I can get back to mixing...
...and if you just go by "visual logic"...like, "I think the traps should go here and there"...it doesn't really end up always working out the best.
I mean...the traps-in-corner is always going to help a lot...but like tonight just for shits-n-giggles I'm trying a single trap, on each side of my monitors...like real close, maybe only about a foot away....and it's sucking up some low-end nulls like a baby diaper! :p

Kinda like this: |\

Imagine that's the left speaker..and the angled line is the angled speaker...and the straight line is the trap. I have it at the same height as the speaker, and then going 4' right up to the ceiling. I was surprised at how much it improved the low/mid response.
Now I'm going to place the other traps at the back wall/corners...and see how the whole thing works.
Originally I was trying the mega-bass traps just at the back wall end of the room...but I think I will use two of them on the speaker sides, and the other four in a the back.

Yeah, I played around with that for a bit a couple of weeks ago, and wanting to get some measurements before I built my new bass traps.

It's pretty sobering when you see that bigger room dimensions alone don't really help much...until you start getting out to 30' lengths and 12' ceilings or more...and even then, you're still gonna need treatment.

So I've been messing around with my new mega-bass traps the last few days...actually doing some position test measurements tonight, as I would like to get some working setup so I can get back to mixing...
...and if you just go by "visual logic"...like, "I think the traps should go here and there"...it doesn't really end up always working out the best.
I mean...the traps-in-corner is always going to help a lot...but like tonight just for shits-n-giggles I'm trying a single trap, on each side of my monitors...like real close, maybe only about a foot away....and it's sucking up some low-end nulls like a baby diaper! :p

Kinda like this: |\

Imagine that's the left speaker..and the angled line is the angled speaker...and the straight line is the trap. I have it at the same height as the speaker, and then going 4' right up to the ceiling. I was surprised at how much it improved the low/mid response.
Now I'm going to place the other traps at the back wall/corners...and see how the whole thing works.
Originally I was trying the mega-bass traps just at the back wall end of the room...but I think I will use two of them on the speaker sides, and the other four in a the back.
This guy (not sure this is the right video..)
How To Get Good Bass In Small Rooms - [url]www.AcousticFields.com - YouTube[/url]
..says treat -put your low traps, at the front end of the room first -as that's where the source of the sound is the strongest!

:>) One of my first major purchases were a pair of QTC-1's. Took a while but they've earned their keep long time ago.

Hadn't thought about it, but I bet you don't need super flat mic to measure 20 and 30dB peaks and dips :>)

In this small room, I've had some good luck. I'm not even going to try to get the 8" RSL 2600 in line, but I enjoy all that bass at the moment. Free standing Minimus 7 did real well, but I can't find two tweeters that have the same level

Ya, I was using a Global Audio GXL 2400 with the hi-mid bump

Back