How can I help out audio from a point-and-shoot camera video?

AudioDude

I was just wondering if anyone had any tricks on making the audio from point and shoot videos slightly better. I have a bunch of clips from concerts recorded and I'd like to beef up the audio a little bit. I know it's a long shot but I thought maybe someone else has dealt with this issue as well. I have pro tools le 8, an mbox 2 mini and just the basic plugins that come with it. The camera I shot the videos with is a Canon SD790IS. If anyone's got any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

'beef up the audio'

What exactly do you mean by that?
(what are your expectations?)

Chances are what you got is what you got... computers aren't magic like they are on TV.

The mics and analog>digital converters are mediocre in those point-and-shoot cameras.
And they store in compressed formats that really mung up the sound (like a low-grade mp3).

Plus, if these concerts are anything like the ones I go to where somebody ends up with a point and shoot camera video, the audio will have been hopelessly distorted on the way in (these cameras are made for capturing opening-presents-on-Christmas-morning style audio, not loud rock shows), and there's just no way to undo that.
With enough eq you might be able to get the audio from "that's just noise" to "that's song X," but you probably won't do much better than that.

Back