How to adjust a vocal compressor?

I will answer your question with a question:

How long is a piece of string?

Specific settings will depend on the vocal and the rest of the production. My starting point tends to be 4:1with medium attack and release. Adjust the threshold so that you get 4-6db of reduction. But you have to listen to see if it is doing what you need. If not, adjust the compressor to get it to do what you need.

Compressors are one of the more difficult things to get your head around--but once you understand what each control does, it'll be easier to decide what/how to adjust.

One of the best set of explanations and instruction that I often send people to are the Rane Notes on this topic. Pour a coffee and have a read through: Dynamics Processors -- Technology & Applications

It all depends on what you want to do. Do you need to limit, i.e., controlling the dynamic rage of the performance? Do you want the vocal to pop out a bit more or have a longer sustain? These are all stuff you can obtain with a compressor but you first need to know how a compressor works and be able to hear what the different knobs, such as Attack and Release does. This takes time, but if you just put in a bit of time you will get there.

I would be happy to send you a guide on the topic if you are interested :)

Back