how to add dynamics to nonvelocity synths etc

B

bigfootangel

hi guys,
how to add velocity and dynamic feeling to any instrument that has no velocity capacity?
automate volume of the track while playing it?
or
use midi cc commands to add velocity after the take?? how it is being done? pls explain. which cc controls what??
or
any other ways? maybe any automation vst?

btw is there any function or vst in cubase that adds random additions or substractions of the volume or any other parameter of the midi track. ex: i record a static nonvelocity synth or drum machine part that has no velocity sensitive pads and wanna add/set random volume or other parameter values to those midi notes. press-boom!?

big thnks

sammy

hi guys,
how to add velocity and dynamic feeling to any instrument that has no velocity capacity?

Hi,
If the virtual instrument has velocity options but the input device 'instrument' doesn't, then most DAWs (all?) will let you manipulate velocity after recording.

Keep in mind that volume and velocity are, ideally, two different things.
Most good synths or sample libraries will call different samples for different velocities, so a hard sample turned down won't sound the same as a soft sample turned up.
Think of the difference in tone between a smacked snare and a tickled one, even if both recordings were normalised.

Anyway...short answer, volume, velocity, pan and pretty much everything else should be automatable.
I don't know how to do it in cubase but no doubt someone will.
You shouldn't need to concern yourself with CC or numbers - you should simply have a 'velocity' view on your recorded track.

It may be possible to set up a pot or slider to manipulate volume on the fly as you record but I don't know enough about it and don't expect it'd be worth the hassle, compared to editing afterwards.

Hi,
If the virtual instrument has velocity options but the input device 'instrument' doesn't, then most DAWs (all?) will let you manipulate velocity after recording..

thanks mate.
sorry my bad. i meant when the software synth has no velocity or old drum machine has non sensituve buttons only. i ve got a touch sensitive keyboard.

If a soft synth doesn't recognize velocity differences on the Note events, then it may or may not respond to changes in the Channel Volume (MIDI CC #7) or Expression (MIDI CC #11). You could try automating those and see if they work.

However, hard synths typically have a knob or slider for controlling the amplitude of the patch's output, usually after all the oscillator, filter, and envelope controls. You might be able to map that knob in the soft synth to a control on your keyboard, and/or you might be able to add automation for it in your DAW.

If a soft synth doesn't recognize velocity differences on the Note events, then it may or may not respond to changes in the Channel Volume (MIDI CC #7) or Expression (MIDI CC #11). You could try automating those and see if they work.

However, hard synths typically have a knob or slider for controlling the amplitude of the patch's output, usually after all the oscillator, filter, and envelope controls. You might be able to map that knob in the soft synth to a control on your keyboard, and/or you might be able to add automation for it in your DAW.

thanks mate, great info. ive heard that modulation cc is often responsible for volume of the notes.. i'll try everything asap.

thanks mate, great info. ive heard that modulation cc is often responsible for volume of the notes.. i'll try everything asap.

I think that might depend on the soft synth as well as the patch. The mod wheel on many synths can be assigned to various parameters, so if the synth lets you assign the mod wheel to amplitude, and if the patch you've selected on the synth is set up to use that assignment, then CC #1 (modulation) may let you vary the volume or amplitude of the notes as you play.

I think that might depend on the soft synth as well as the patch. The mod wheel on many synths can be assigned to various parameters, so if the synth lets you assign the mod wheel to amplitude, and if the patch you've selected on the synth is set up to use that assignment, then CC #1 (modulation) may let you vary the volume or amplitude of the notes as you play.

i read you. thanks dear.
god bless

btw is there any function or vst in cubase that adds random additions or substractions of the volume or any other parameter of the midi track. ex: i record a static nonvelocity synth or drum machine part that has no velocity sensitive pads and wanna add/set random volume or other parameter values to those midi notes. press-boom!?

It's called a "midi humanizer". There should be some free ones that can plug into Cubase (if it doesn't ship with one by default)

I could have sworn Cubase had humanization built in, but I haven't touched it in years, so can't really tell you where to look.

I could have sworn Cubase had humanization built in, but I haven't touched it in years, so can't really tell you where to look.
exactly, ive read it too.. im gonna look for it in my ol version5.. will post if i find it. gracies. god bless.

samm

life is a learning process, so best wishes for this new school year to everyone!

jesus bless

samm

First tip. Get a master keyboard with velocity and mod. Editing controllers after recording is painful on cubase, and takes ages to get realistic. Some samplers, like garitan can really annoy you when a stray mod cc has made the sound play in ways you didn't want. Even if our keyboard skills are poor, velocity is essential to preserve your sanity.

Back