hi! please help me perfect my solo piano mixing/mastering

crazy_diamond

hello all! new to the forum and I was hoping you could help me out a bit...

I've been recording piano covers over the past year or so to practice my mixing and mastering skills with the goal of producing my own original music soon. the quality of my final products has continued to improve, but overall I'm still not happy with it. here's my latest one so you can (hopefully!) check it out and see what I'm talking about:

some info on my equipment/process: reaper, casio privia px330 keyboard, focusrite scarlett 2i4 audio interface, asio4all, 24bit 88.2 khz...the piano track has added eq, reverb, and a noise gate, and I put a limiter on the master. I don't like to compress my piano tracks and usually just go with a limiter to give a little boost and prevent any clipping with the peaks but I'm starting to think I may be using this entirely wrong lol. I can post pics later if that would help.

the main issue is that the final product always comes out sounding too quiet and just not very full or impressive. it sounds decent in my DAW through my monitors/headphones but the final render never sounds quite as good for some reason (have been listening to it on my crappier work speakers to see how it translates). the RMS is -2 and -4 for each signal during rendering so it seems like that should be a fine volume level. I know this kind of comes with the territory with a piano track--some of the quieter bits are as low as -20 db while the loud bits get all the way up to -2--and I certainly don't expect metal-level volume, but I still feel like there must be something else going on. I have to turn my computer volume/ speakers up way too much and then the quality suffers.

that's another thing: I don't understand why I start to hear distortion and a bit of a crunchy sound when I turn it up loud, considering I make it a point never to come anywhere near clipping level when I'm recording and mixing, and I'm using a master limiter. I've always read that if you keep the levels reasonable and master at unity and just turn up your speakers when you need more volume you shouldn't be having these issues, so what am I missing here?

any tips? I have a decent understanding of the fundamentals at this point but am definitely still a noob, so it's entirely possible I'm missing or misunderstanding something very basic. oh and my mastering skills at this point mainly consist of using a master limiter :laughings: so that could very well explain my whole lack of fullness problem. any insight or advice would be so, so greatly appreciated! it's surprisingly difficult to find specific tips about piano mixing or these kinds of issues, at least in my searches thus far. thank you in advance!

Last edited:
I listened to a few minutes of your link. It actually sounded nice and the volume seemed spot on. I did not hear anything crunching, therefore I have to assume you are turning up the volume on your computer to get it loud and that is where you are hearing the crunch.

First, I liked the dynamics that you had. Very good start. But, it will sound lower (volume) than a pop record. Now, as much as I hate to tell you this, because your playing style really compliments the full range of dynamics, start putting on some compression to "push down" the peaks, so you can bring up the low parts.

But be careful, as you start using compression, the feeling of the music will begin to diminish and the feeling you have in your playing will be less noticeable. Just use it sparingly to get your volume up a little.

I listened to a few minutes of your link. It actually sounded nice and the volume seemed spot on. I did not hear anything crunching, therefore I have to assume you are turning up the volume on your computer to get it loud and that is where you are hearing the crunch.

First, I liked the dynamics that you had. Very good start. But, it will sound lower (volume) than a pop record. Now, as much as I hate to tell you this, because your playing style really compliments the full range of dynamics, start putting on some compression to "push down" the peaks, so you can bring up the low parts.

But be careful, as you start using compression, the feeling of the music will begin to diminish and the feeling you have in your playing will be less noticeable. Just use it sparingly to get your volume up a little.

oh wow thanks!! maybe it's just my cheap speakers. but they don't do it with professional piano tracks so I'm still a bit concerned. I feel like it should translate better on different speakers and at the very least not be distorted. in any case, glad you're not hearing the crunching.

Posting from my phone so I haven't listened to the track but just wondering why you would use asio4all? You should use the drivers made for your interface.

oops, I am actually. that was a mistake. I used to use asio4all with a different interface but since I got the focusrite I'm using their drivers.

added a bit of compression, boosted the gain, and changed the limiter settings around a bit. I think this one is an improvement.

The only thing that I'm hearing that gives me pause is the sample itself. Notes don't sound natural. Decays are obviously short repeat. Are you recording audio straight from the casio, or midi through a VSTi?

You might try compressing before limiting. Piano instrumentals can be expressive and still have radio levels. Like "everyday" by carly comando, great song. Part of it comes down to tools though, the limiters that come with daws can't really compete with an expensive mastering plugin.

It sounded fine to me. I couldn't hear bad samples, velocities seemed real to me. Sustain sounded nice. I assume an electric piano, but not a cheap one.

Still sounds nice to me. I am not really hearing a difference from the other.

Sorry, that Casio should be a $1000 or better keyboard. The decays sound weak to my ear. But then again, I've played on very expensive pianos. It could be that I'm a bit picky. I want to hear the notes ring out, not a cycle repeat of the note getting less and less volume. Yamaha CVP and CLP models do a great job at that. My Kawai CE 220 was selected exactly for that reason. It's not a D or even a C7, but it's pretty nice for 1/100th or 1/10th the price.

Still the song sounds brilliant. I did not mean my comment as a major bummer, only a small nit...

Sorry, that Casio should be a $1000 or better keyboard. The decays sound weak to my ear. But then again, I've played on very expensive pianos. It could be that I'm a bit picky. I want to hear the notes ring out, not a cycle repeat of the note getting less and less volume. Yamaha CVP and CLP models do a great job at that. My Kawai CE 220 was selected exactly for that reason. It's not a D or even a C7, but it's pretty nice for 1/100th or 1/10th the price.

Still the song sounds brilliant. I did not mean my comment as a major bummer, only a small nit...

I listened extra for that when you said it. I understand what you mean by it. Having worked with samplers, many use that technique (loop fade). But I couldn't hear it. Wasn't saying it wasn't there or you were wrong, I just couldn't hear it.

yes, this is audio recorded from the casio using my focusrite interface. I will definitely keep this in mind. I actually just recently started thinking about graduating to something better...maybe I will start considering that more seriously now! I bought the casio about 5 years ago and have really enjoyed playing it and think it's excellent for the price, but I definitely wouldn't mind stepping it up a bit.

thanks for commenting and for the compliment. really did not expect anyone to use the word "brilliant" in response to this. wow. that makes me feel like I'm on the right track. :D

maybe I will try to make better friends with compressors too. it just seems like with piano it can become unnatural-sounding very quickly. on the second version I posted I only have it set to like 15% wet and a low ratio and I still feel like it sounds too warbly at times. I probably just need to keep experimenting. I know mastering alone is an art in itself and I have a ton more to learn about that. considering looking into something like izotope in the future but don't feel I'm far enough along in the process to warrant it yet.

If you get the chance, play the Kawai. I'm sure you'll be impressed. Mine was $1700 (not too much of a step up from where you're at) and has a very realistic Leslie simulater built in. Only has 24 voices built in, but most are great. The rest of what I do comes from VSTis and old school soundfonts. If you keep the Casio, you can use the sounds you like from it as well...midi is a wonderful tool! :)

If you ever get the chance to sit at a Yamaha C7 or especially a Kawai EX or almost any Steinway (Ds are some of the most magical instruments in the world), you'll get a feel for why my ears are so in tune with piano sounds. Played a few of these when I was very young, and a very nice Kawai (not EX) as well as the Steinway D at the University of Idaho when I was there for jazz competitions in high school (as well as a semester as a student). Wish I could still play as well as I did then, but adult life makes it very difficult to put in 4-7 hours a day of practice time...lucky to get 1-2.

Back