Hi guys, just trying to get feedback and ask about my mixing process

ehxhfl443

Hi how are u guys doing? So basically i want to ask if my overall mixing step and process sound appropriate.

So basically i work at my own room without any good acoustics, but what can i do, i just live with it lol..(crying)

So basically I use my main Mackie MR5mK3 monitor speaker to make the overall track under RMS -4db~6db, do some general balancing and panning. After that, i do some eq and reverb, comparing with some original reference track.

So after i feel that it went pretty well with my main monitor speakers, i switched connection to my Yamaha NX50 speaker, and i get to see very noticeable changes like i get to hear that my snare has too much 'high' compared to the reference song and blah blah.
So i make change on my track based on the Yamah speaker.

After that, i play my track and reference track on other laptop with its own speaker system to listen to how they sound like. And of course, i see the difference, so go back to work on something back.

And after all these processes, even though i have made a few changes, i don't really see the big noticeable difference on the track on my main Makie monitor speakers.

I heard that many Mixing engineers try to listen to tracks at different places and different atmosphere, is what i am doing similar with their process? (In terms of what i could do under my circumstances now) Or is this cause my room acoustics basically suck?

I would be happy to hear advice from you guys. Thanks!

Listening on multiple speakers is never a bad idea. Make sure you do everything you can to help the sound in your room - put up cheap moving blankets if you have to and make sure your speakers are positioned correctly. The positioning of your monitors - from the angle they are facing your ears to the distance from where you're sitting as well as the distance from the wall can all affect how you hear sound. Watch some of these videos for ideas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02qpJt0hsL0

Then listen to a lot of music once your room is set up so you can become accustomed to how your monitors sound. How you choose to mix after that is really up to you. I tend to build everything around the vocal, but I generally start with the rhythm (drums and bass) and work my way up.

Bear in mind that any reference track you use to compare your mixes to will be already mastered, and in all probability, maxed to the hilt on volume, so the first thing you should do is lower them considerably, so you're comparing like with like.

Also make sure the ref track bypasses anything which might be on your master buss - I route them directly to my interface

I personally don't like listening on different systems and multiple environments, everyone is different. I would rather get to know one pair of speakers extremely well that are flat and accurate than have 3 or 4 mediocre ones, that is my philosophy and so far it's worked well for me, I am very confident my speakers and room are not lying to me.

Play some tracks you really like and know very well on your system to work out if the system is lying to you first.

I personally don't like listening on different systems and multiple environments, everyone is different. I would rather get to know one pair of speakers extremely well that are flat and accurate than have 3 or 4 mediocre ones, that is my philosophy and so far it's worked well for me, I am very confident my speakers and room are not lying to me..

This is true to an extent.....once you truly learn your speakers and if your room is properly treated you won't need to listen to them on anything else as reference....but until then listen to them on a few different setups....for example when my control room was untreated I would mix things and add some reverb and you could slightly hear it but you put it in a car system and the reverb would be overpowering...so you have to learn your monitors and the only way to do that is to compare and then you know what it sounds like in other systems and you won't have to compare them on another system any more....

Back