Help Needed! Im Frustrated

coachbruck

I have a Focusrite 2i2 audio interface and i cant seem to add the right effects to make the guitar sound and vocals sound good for making youtube covers. I have a behringer condenser microphone. How should I maximize this setup to make good covers. I took advice to get a audio interface from someone on this website now I have reverted back to just using my ipad for covers. I would like some hints, tips, advice. It came with ableton live lite 8. Potentially this could be a good setup I just cant figure the best way to record. Should I only use the mic? or the mic and 1/4 to the interface. What are a few effects that can gently enhance the product. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2L2e6ig-kTLggx_r2eC2YQ :(

Tips:

#1. Read THIS, and then read it again until you understand it.

#2. If it doesn't sound good before effects,. it won't sound good after effects. Don't polish the car before you've washed it.

I watched that track and your version of Landslide.

So I see a guy sitting in a lounge room playing guitar and singing songs that he likes. And that's exactly what it sounds like as well. Do you want any more than that? Just do what you've been doing.

The Behringer mike is a condensor, which needs phantom power, and which the Focusrite supplies, but only through the XLR inputs. A 1/4 to the interface won't work with the mike.

I don't use Ableton Live, so I can't comment on it.

But the basic process is to get a good clean signal into which ever software you are using, then maybe add a bit of compression to smooth the dynamics, add a bit of reverb to give the sound some air. Maybe a bit of EQ. Then you are done.

I have a Focusrite 2i2 audio interface and i cant seem to add the right effects to make the guitar sound and vocals sound good for making youtube covers. I have a behringer condenser microphone. How should I maximize this setup to make good covers. I took advice to get a audio interface from someone on this website now I have reverted back to just using my ipad for covers. I would like some hints, tips, advice. It came with ableton live lite 8. Potentially this could be a good setup I just cant figure the best way to record. Should I only use the mic? or the mic and 1/4 to the interface. What are a few effects that can gently enhance the product. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2L2e6ig-kTLggx_r2eC2YQ :(

I think you need to first clearly identify what you think is wrong with the sound.
IOW...just saying "for making You Tube covers" doesn't really say much AFA what is bad and what you want to change.
There are many versions of "sound good".

Also...this might be worth skimming through:
Having An Objective View Of Your Abilities

When I first started learning snowboarding i hurt myself all the time...it was frustrating as well as painful. So I spoke to a mate back home who instructed beginners. I asked him when will I stop falling and hurting myself, he replied "when you get sick of it"

I stopped falling pretty soon after that.

Nothing to do with the OP, I just wanted to share.

it has to do with the room acustics. the ipad does have some processing on the mic that is helping polish it but its not enough, and a more conventional setup is showing the flaws.

try different rooms and even different places in the room. as well as exploring different micing positions: Like condensor 3-4 feet away and at 2:30 3 feet off the ground with the condensor front pointed toward the guitar with a vocal mic in front (12:00)

but remember, its only going to sound as good as the equipment can record it as well.

If 'Landslide' is an example of your work with the Behr and Ableton, I can hear the room in the vocals - the slapback echo/reverb of the room itself. Clap your hands hard in the room - here that echo? That's what the mic is picking up. Your iPad mic is not as sensitive so is not picking up the 'room sound' as much.
Find another room to record in. Build some bass traps. Buy a reflection panel. Hang some quilts up. Keep trying stuff until you get the sound you want.

Thanks for your comment. Landslide was filmed with the Ipad only. I haven't used used the audio Interface lately because I never seem to get it to sound right. Check out my cover of grandaddys gun and give me some tips if you could that was one of my better DAW covers, any help is appreciated. Thanks

Thanks for your comment. Landslide was filmed with the Ipad only. I haven't used used the audio Interface lately because I never seem to get it to sound right. Check out my cover of grandaddys gun and give me some tips if you could that was one of my better DAW covers, any help is appreciated. Thanks
Did you put a delay on it, or is that your monitors getting picked up by the mic?

If you want the best sound, use headphones. Track the guitar first, then add vocals to another track. Get the audio right, then lipsynch a video.

Back