Help Mixing Hip-Hop Instrumentals

Good beats, Good Mix?

• Total voters

tempo

Hey,

I need help on the mix game front. Go to www.stellarbeats.com and check out the 10 tracks listed in the online store. Let me know how the mixes sound. I'm not sure if I'm getting good mixes or not. A lot of the tracks I'm hearing have a more pronounce kick and snare. Holla back at me.

Note: Happy to have constructive critisizm.

they sound good. who mixed them for you? i would be very interested in getting my beats mixed by the same person who mixed yours.

Thanks for the comment. Yes, I both produced and mixed the beats. I also added multiband compression and limiting to polish them up after the mix.

I am using Sonar 4 Producer Edition to create, mix and master. I'd be happy to take a listen to your beats. What do you use to create your beats and mix them?

Personally, I'd say they're average. They aren't bad, but they aren't "in your face" either. Kicks could hit harder, and the snares could be a bit more crisp. A couple of your melodies were too far out in front of the mix...

However, they're fine for previewing on a website.

When people purchase a beat from you, do you send them a tracked out version so they can achieve a professional mix?

Change of POETS said:
Personally, I'd say they're average. They aren't bad, but they aren't "in your face" either. Kicks could hit harder, and the snares could be a bit more crisp. A couple of your melodies were too far out in front of the mix...

However, they're fine for previewing on a website.

When people purchase a beat from you, do you send them a tracked out version so they can achieve a professional mix?

Thanks for the critical assessment. I was feeling that too. I am always afraid to push my snares and kicks forward. Maybe if I drop my melodies down in the mix it will make the kicks and snares more pronounced. I have a lot of trouble placing basslines too high or too low in the mix. I'm afraid of muddying the mix. I'll go back to the drawing board and see what I can come up with. What did you think of the beats?

As far as sending the customer tracked out instrumentals? I will do that only if they purchase tracks exclusively - or if they pay (as a service) for a tracked out version. But yes, I'd do that. Intrested in a track?

You should be afraid of pushing your snares and kicks "too far" forward. But in my opinion, yours aren't forward enough. It's hard to tell with the snares, because MP3's strip away some of that frequency range. But as far as I can tell, they need to be turned up a bit.

Utilize EQ to prevent muddiness. Subtractive EQ or scooping the bassline will help prevent it from overtaking the kick. Even subtle panning on the bass can help reposition it's sound properly in the mix.

As far as the beats themselves.. They're good. Not really my style, so I'll pass. Keep doing your thing.

Change of POETS said:
You should be afraid of pushing your snares and kicks "too far" forward. But in my opinion, yours aren't forward enough. It's hard to tell with the snares, because MP3's strip away some of that frequency range. But as far as I can tell, they need to be turned up a bit.

Utilize EQ to prevent muddiness. Subtractive EQ or scooping the bassline will help prevent it from overtaking the kick. Even subtle panning on the bass can help reposition it's sound properly in the mix.

As far as the beats themselves.. They're good. Not really my style, so I'll pass. Keep doing your thing.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll think that I'll pull the instruments down relative to the kick and snare, giving them the presence without turning them up. Maybe this will help.

Thanks for the EQing hint too. I'll try that. That has always been a problem with my tracks. As far as panning, I stay close to the center - maybe a hair off from the center for the bassline.

Thanks for the props on the beats! I'll have some new flavor (some down-south flavor) before the official launch. I'll be hitting the Pittsburgh and Cleveland markets.

Back