Help with a little mixing term...

pM of impk21.co

I've been recording a few years, just started making beats and instrumentals within the past 5 months. Currently, after I record I just turn and tweak knobs til I gotta a good sound. But I still dont know "exactly" what it is each adjustment is really doing. Can some one give me a little guidence as far as what exactly some of these adjusts "really" affect. I know with different sounds Eqing and mixing can be different, but just an idea;

On my Mc-909 Groovebox/sampler, it has an over all Mastering section consisting of Hi, Mid, Low adjustments each range consists of 5 setting which are;

Effect / Range of Setting

ATTACK 0-100

RELEASE 50-5000

THRESHOLD -36-0

RATIO 1:00:1-INF

LEVEL 0-24

I know most mixing and eqing are trial and error, but I just want to have a better grasp on my mixing skills. I have other questions, but I will leave it at this for now. Any advice and constructive comments would be appreciated.........thanx, pM

It looks to me like you need to learn about compression.

Do a search on compression, and learn what it's all about. Maybe do a google or geeves search and type in the term: "what is compression?" or something along those lines. I don't know if studiocovers.com is still around, but if so, that's another great resource.

pM,

Below is my standard blurb - the basics of compression in the fewest number of words possible. :D

--Ethan

A compressor or limiter is an automatic volume control that reduces the volume when the input gets too loud. Originally they were used to prevent AM radio transmitters from distorting if the announcer got too close to the mike. Then some creative folks discovered that a compressor can sound cool as an effect on voices and musical instruments.

The primary controls on a compressor are:

Threshold - also called ceiling - This sets the point at which the automatic volume reduction kicks in. Below that volume the compressor does nothing. When the input gets above that level, the compressor reduces the volume automatically to keep the signal from getting much louder.

Attack time - how quickly the volume is reduced when the input exceeds the threshold. If it's too slow, then a short burst of loud music can get through and possibly cause distortion. So when using a compressor as a tool to prevent overload you generally want a very fast attack time. But when used on an electric bass to get a little more punch, 20-50 milliseconds is often good because that lets a little burst of the attack get through before the volume is reduced. So each note has a little extra "definition" but without the full length of the note being too loud.

Release time - how quickly the volume comes back up once the input is no longer above the threshold. If it's too fast, you'll hear the volume as it goes up and down. That sound is called "pumping" or "breathing." Sometimes this sound is desirable for adding presense to vocals, drums, and other instruments, but often it is not wanted. The best setting depends on whether you're using the compressor as a tool to prevent overloading, or as an effect to create a cool sound or add more sustain to an instrument. If you don't want to hear the compressor work, set the release time fairly long (one second or more).

Compression ratio - 1:1 does nothing. 2:1 means if the input rises to 2 dB. above the threshold, the compressor will reduce the level by 1 dB. so now it's 1 dB. above. 10:1 means you have to get 10 dB. above the threshold for the output to go up by 1 dB.

Makeup Gain - since a compressor can only reduce the volume when the incoming signal is too high, the Makeup Gain control lets you bring the compressed audio back up to an acceptable level.

Some compressors also have a Knee setting, which has affects only signals that are right around the threshold level. With a "hard knee" setting signals below the threshold are not compressed at all, and as soon as they exceed the threshold the gain suddenly starts being reduced by exactly the amount that the ratio dictates. A "soft knee" setting works a bit differently. As the signal level approaches the threshold it starts to be reduced in level, and the reduction gradually increases until the level crosses the threshold. The compression does not reach the full value of the ratio until a bit above the threshold.

Besides serving as an automatic volume control, a compressor can also make notes sustain longer. To make a note sustain requires raising the volume of a note as it fades out. That is, making the trailing part of a note louder to counter its natural fadeout is what makes it seem to sustain more.

To do this with a compressor you'll set the threshold low enough that the volume is reduced most of the time. Then as the note fades the compressor reduces the volume less, which is the same thing as raising the volume. For example, when you play a note on an electric bass the compressor immediately reduces the volume by, say, 10 dB. because the start of the note exceeds the threshold by 10 dB. You don't hear the volume be reduced because it happens so quickly. But as the note fades over time, the compressor raises the volume which gives the effect of adding sustain.

That said, I pretty much stopped using compressors a few years ago. Now I use volume envelopes in Sonar as needed to raise soft syllables or lower too-loud stuff. Programming volume changes manually rarely takes longer than finding the right compressor settings, and of course you can change the volume envelopes any time in the future. The big advantage of avoiding a compressor is to not add pumping and breathing sounds. These days the only things I compress - and always after recording, non-destructively - are acoustic guitar and electric bass if they need a little more sustain as an effect.

Thanx.......... I check out those threads and there was a lot of usful info on there, some of it really detailed.............

@ Ethan, thanx for your post. A couple of things stood out in your post that didnt get mentioned in some of those links I checked out or I didnt notice. Either very useful.

Q.

On my sampler, I occasionally I run a touch of compression on the bass and kicks, but usually I jus use a bass or low tone enhancer to help round the bass out. My concern is, if I am using this Mastering effect on my over all instrumental while Im recording it to my 8 track, and then later mix down the vocals and the recorded instrumental to the final mix, could there be a problem when it comes to gettting it mastered?

I own an mc-909, which has no individual track eq control and only two effects engines per song. So to get the song's highs tweaked out and the bass to sound fuller, I rely on the mastering effect. I could run each track threw one of the effects engines and use the eq options to eq the over all tracks, but then that only leaves me with one effects processor, then my creativity becomes even more limited. I always hear stories how somebody had to remix their album cuz the sound engineer said there was too much compression used, or even just a little...... does this make since? How do I know if Im using too much. Currently I try to get the mix to sound as good as possible, but in the end it always ends up needing more effects added to brighten the track or what not, I dont know.....................pM

pM,

> could there be a problem when it comes to gettting it mastered? <

The biggest problem most people have making mixing decisions involving bass levels, is poor monitoring. This is caused both by inadequate speakers, and a lack of proper acoustic treatment.

--Ethan

LOL, well, I have both of those problems. I do understand the importance of monitors, and secondly the importance of having a somewhat treated environment. I will have some new monitors in a couple of weeks. But for the mean time I guess I will have to mix the best I can and make a lot of coaters testing out different mixes on various systems.

The postive Note. I did go threw and remix the beats I am currently working on. I did not use the over all compression "Master" effect, and I used bass booster eqs and a stereo eq to do the mix. The only thing I have compression on of any sort is the kick drum, and thats just a small amout. The over all sound level almost compares to the previous mix used with compression, and the current mix actually sounds more warm as well. Im sure compression takes out some frequencies when you use it.................pM

Agreed, great post Ethan. You've elucidated the workings of the compressor very clearly.

Now can you do something similar in explaining expansion, and can it be used as a noise gate?

Re: Re: Help with a little mixing term...

Ethan Winer said:
pM,

Below is my standard blurb - the basics of compression in the fewest number of words possible. :D

--Ethan

A compressor or limiter is an automatic volume control that reduces the volume when the input gets too loud. Originally they were used to prevent AM radio transmitters from distorting if the announcer got too close to the mike. Then some creative folks discovered that a compressor can sound cool as an effect on voices and musical instruments.

The primary controls on a compressor are:

Threshold - also called ceiling - This sets the point at which the automatic volume reduction kicks in. Below that volume the compressor does nothing. When the input gets above that level, the compressor reduces the volume automatically to keep the signal from getting much louder.

Attack time - how quickly the volume is reduced when the input exceeds the threshold. If it's too slow, then a short burst of loud music can get through and possibly cause distortion. So when using a compressor as a tool to prevent overload you generally want a very fast attack time. But when used on an electric bass to get a little more punch, 20-50 milliseconds is often good because that lets a little burst of the attack get through before the volume is reduced. So each note has a little extra "definition" but without the full length of the note being too loud.

Release time - how quickly the volume comes back up once the input is no longer above the threshold. If it's too fast, you'll hear the volume as it goes up and down. That sound is called "pumping" or "breathing." Sometimes this sound is desirable for adding presense to vocals, drums, and other instruments, but often it is not wanted. The best setting depends on whether you're using the compressor as a tool to prevent overloading, or as an effect to create a cool sound or add more sustain to an instrument. If you don't want to hear the compressor work, set the release time fairly long (one second or more).

Compression ratio - 1:1 does nothing. 2:1 means if the input rises to 2 dB. above the threshold, the compressor will reduce the level by 1 dB. so now it's 1 dB. above. 10:1 means you have to get 10 dB. above the threshold for the output to go up by 1 dB.

Makeup Gain - since a compressor can only reduce the volume when the incoming signal is too high, the Makeup Gain control lets you bring the compressed audio back up to an acceptable level.

Some compressors also have a Knee setting, which has affects only signals that are right around the threshold level. With a "hard knee" setting signals below the threshold are not compressed at all, and as soon as they exceed the threshold the gain suddenly starts being reduced by exactly the amount that the ratio dictates. A "soft knee" setting works a bit differently. As the signal level approaches the threshold it starts to be reduced in level, and the reduction gradually increases until the level crosses the threshold. The compression does not reach the full value of the ratio until a bit above the threshold.

Besides serving as an automatic volume control, a compressor can also make notes sustain longer. To make a note sustain requires raising the volume of a note as it fades out. That is, making the trailing part of a note louder to counter its natural fadeout is what makes it seem to sustain more.

To do this with a compressor you'll set the threshold low enough that the volume is reduced most of the time. Then as the note fades the compressor reduces the volume less, which is the same thing as raising the volume. For example, when you play a note on an electric bass the compressor immediately reduces the volume by, say, 10 dB. because the start of the note exceeds the threshold by 10 dB. You don't hear the volume be reduced because it happens so quickly. But as the note fades over time, the compressor raises the volume which gives the effect of adding sustain.

That said, I pretty much stopped using compressors a few years ago. Now I use volume envelopes in Sonar as needed to raise soft syllables or lower too-loud stuff. Programming volume changes manually rarely takes longer than finding the right compressor settings, and of course you can change the volume envelopes any time in the future. The big advantage of avoiding a compressor is to not add pumping and breathing sounds. These days the only things I compress - and always after recording, non-destructively - are acoustic guitar and electric bass if they need a little more sustain as an effect.

Excellent, I enjoyed it. It also cleared a few issues I had.

Hit,

> Now can you do something similar in explaining expansion, and can it be used as a noise gate? <

Yes, a noise gate is an expander with an infinite ratio, just like a limiter is a compressor with an infinite ratio. I haven't written up a description of expansion, but it's not far from compression. It just works in the opposite direction. Where a compressor lowers the volume when the input gets above a threshold, an expander lowers the volume when the signal gets below a certain level. An expander lowers the volume in proportion to the input signal level, and a noise gate simply turns it all the way off.

Attack and release time mean the same thing as with a compressor. You always want a fast attack so the gate opens (turns on) quickly enough to not miss the first instant of sound. You can adjust the release time to control how quickly the volume is reduced after the input signal goes away or falls below the threshold. If you make the release too fast you can get a "chattering" sound when the input signal hovers near the threshold.

--Ethan

Back