Help: Im confident thiss question is valid. Enough for attention

Anthony Vance

Okay....so... My end result would be the position of the atck and rel of the comp on the vox track or buss.........now i work in bmp(grid) i knowwwwww.....lets say 60000ms/100bmp=600ms/1bpm...so my question is people can you do the math for default values using this default method for adjusting the atck and rel on you buss/track comp.....

#funny but serious question:d:d:d:d

Honestly, I'm not sure I parsed your post correctly, and I'm not familiar with the genre you're working in, but if you want to be able to have some defaults for compression, I'd start by listening to reference tracks in the style, measuring what you can, and then twisting knobs on your own stuff until it matches. Once you've done that with a dozen or so samples, you should have enough data to put into a spreadsheet and see if there's any kind of linear/polynomial that you can pop out that will give you some starting points.

Once you have some rule of thumb and continue to a/b against your reference tracks, at some point you'll start to do it with your ears and forget about the "rules." Or, so I'm told!

it sounds like you make be asking how to get a track to "pump" or "breathe" with the beat of the kick or whatever. if that is what you are after I would suggest youtube as there are many how to videos to help u achieve the desired effect. as for timing , the same principles as used to determine delay times for repeats in time with rhythm will work, again youtube and google for extensive help in these areas

If you're talking about getting some movement' on a mixed track? I can make some decent guesses on a few comps I've used for ages..? But no. Always by experimenting and 'feel, never bpm' or math. Besides, different comps react differently. Some -the Klanghelm DC8B is a beast for example! Has three or four nose/attack mode shapes/responses. There's four in one where they'd all grab differently.

Yeah....or....

You can post a question in a logical manner so that people are able to comprehend what you are asking. Just an idea.

Back