Help advice needed

coachbruck

I am playing at a wine tasting next week. I have 2 behringer b210ds I plan to use for mains. I was going to play into and mix it with my Marshall as50d and use that for my monitor. I have been practicing like that for a week. Then for fun I put my 10s in the floor wedge position and used them as monitors as well, that's 3 monitors. 3 monitors sounded amazing pointed at me together. How do I get that sound to the FOH? Should I buy additional mains and use 3 monitors? It sounds awesome I need to get that to FOH,please respond. I don't have much speaker knowledge. Thanks, 1 more thought. Could I send all 3 of my units to the audience and get another monitor speaker? A little cheaper, I found the sound I have been looking for, I want the FOH to hear it.

Last edited:
I have a few questions, how large is the room? what are you playing? the purpose of monitors is not really to give you the FOH sound, hence the term monitor. if you sitting directly in front of the 3 speakers, the sound you get will not be anywhere close to what people at the back of the room will get. there are a lot of variables, are you inside or outside? A small PA that sounds good in a small room will not sound the same outside, still trying to get my head around a Marshall at a wine tasting but I digress. my idea of people at a wine tasting is people milling around talking, drinking eating nasty shit off of stale crackers but I could be wrong. point is what volume will you be playing at? elevator music or breaking wine glasses? The sound pressure level, (SPL) you will get sitting 3 feet in front of speakers is a lot more than you will project across a room with the same setup. it is not a simple question. :D

... you sitting directly in front of the 3 speakers, the sound you get will not be anywhere close to what people at the back of the room will get
This.
Most people will not be- nor would they likely want to be, anywhere near that close to speakers.
If the goal is sounding good for the audience, dedicate one or two of your best speakers for that.
On the other hand if it might not make all that much dif (sometimes we're primarily 'background' - and in those cases if you push the issue- it can come off as but annoying..) go ahead and set up 'your world'.. And maybe better to 'draw in the ones that are enjoying it, and have fun.

This.
Most people will not be- nor would they likely want to be, anywhere near that close to speakers.
If the goal is sounding good for the audience, dedicate one or two of your best speakers for that.
On the other hand if it might not make all that much dif (sometimes we're primarily 'background' - and in those cases if you push the issue- it can come off as but annoying..) go ahead and set up 'your world'.. And maybe better to 'draw in the ones that are enjoying it, and have fun.

OP posted this in 2 different forums, thought I was losing it. :drunk:

You haven't actually said exactly what you think is better about having the B210Ds as monitors. Is it just that it's louder? Do the Behringers provide a cleaner, more natural sound (which I'd expect since the Marshall is a guitar amp)?

For all the reasons people have already discussed, you're not going to make a whole venue sound the same as you get sitting in the sweet spot with 3 speakers pointed at you from inches away. Once you get to the hall, all sorts of things (distance from speakers, reflections off walls and ceiling, whether people are in the middle of the room or off to one side, etc. etc.) are going to affect the sound. That said, in a smallish venue, the B210Ds are capable of a surprisingly nice sound. I bought some B212D speakers last year for a specific project and was very pleasantly surprised by the quality and SPL. I now use them for many more things than I expected to be able to.

However, as others have said, at something like a wine tasting you probably don't want everyone to hear what you did surrounded by speakers. Some of the audience may get into the music and want to come closer. Others might want to talk about the wine they're swilling back and will stay at the other side of the room.

I have a few questions, how large is the room? what are you playing? the purpose of monitors is not really to give you the FOH sound, hence the term monitor. if you sitting directly in front of the 3 speakers, the sound you get will not be anywhere close to what people at the back of the room will get. there are a lot of variables, are you inside or outside? A small PA that sounds good in a small room will not sound the same outside, still trying to get my head around a Marshall at a wine tasting but I digress. my idea of people at a wine tasting is people milling around talking, drinking eating nasty shit off of stale crackers but I could be wrong. point is what volume will you be playing at? elevator music or breaking wine glasses? The sound pressure level, (SPL) you will get sitting 3 feet in front of speakers is a lot more than you will project across a room with the same setup. it is not a simple question. :D

were probably talking about back ground music, 800 sq ft room. As long as people hear what I was near the ones who want to listen will enjoy it I think.

I guess I was wondering if I should let the 10s go out and maybe get one more for another monitor? I see performances where they have 2 monitors pointed at the mic at a 10 o'clock 2 o'clock position.

One monitor is probably enough but get a proper monitor (maybe even another B210) rather than a guitar amp.

Several responders have made comments about the OP's "guitar amp", as though he's playing through a Marshall stack for electric playing. The AS50D is a dedicated acoustic 'hi-fi' amp, that is more like a small PA system in a box. It has various I/O options just for connecting to PA systems, recording directly from the amp, etc...I'm not responding to the basic questions, just clarifying this one point.

I wouldn't say get another Behr speaker as a monitor - frankly they are ok as monitors, but the sound can be a little harsh from them as you push them - the SPL is pretty low for a main speaker. But for a small winetasting gig like you describe, they're fine. It probably sounded better to you when you hooked everything up to face you because you didn't have to crank the Behrs up, reducing the overall harshness.
The Marshall is an acoustic voice + guitar amp, so also is fine for using how you're using it.
If you find yourself needing more volume (larger venues/gigs) look at getting some better mains, and using one of the Behrs as your monitor, and get a proper mixer to use instead of the Marshall.

coachbruck said:
Do you recommend using more than one monitor, I started to believe this made my sound better.

This happened to be over at ProsoundWeb and would make a good read on that.
Monitors, Horns in vs. Horns out
I don't do enough live sound to have direct experience 'dual vs single, but know the basic concept (argument against in this case) is solid; Always try to pick one good source for sound rather than than trying to 'double up with multiples. The same defiantly applies to the front speakers as well.

'defiantly' That would be 'definitely' thank you

Last edited:
Great quote from one of the responders in that threadmixsit linked:
2 wedges gives you a larger coverage area of sound. While there will be comb filtering all over the place, you will still be able to hear yourself. The purpose of a monitor is to keep time with the rest of the band, and keep key of your voice.

As a solo acoustic player, I'd ask why you would possibly need two monitor wedges in front of you?

I've play solo shows with many different systems, run an open mic, and have attended numerous open mics with different sound system set-ups and I'm always bemused by solo players who need 'a little more guitar in the monitor' or some other minor adjustment. Maybe its just experience, but I can hear my guitar fine when I'm playing it, I don't need it in the monitor at all - except at the same level as my vocal, and only then to ensure that any volume changes I do - vocally or playing - balance out so the audience still hears a well-balanced sound.

Live sound is about getting a clean, clear sound to the audience. Don't get fancy with a bunch of extra speakers. You don't need them, you just think you do.

That acoustic amp is fine for monitoring your guitar, or as the whole PA for a tiny gig. If it's your only option for mixing then go for it. I guess it would be adequate as the mixer and stage monitor for a solo gig but it's not ideal for vocals.

One monitor is probably enough but get a proper monitor (maybe even another B210) rather than a guitar amp.

good idea, you can just chain off the mains and use the volume knob for the monitor volume, being the same speaker you would hear exactly what the house is hearing.

It's a sound engineering principle that you should never tell your wife that you're considering another piece of gear. Just sneak it in, let it gather some dust, maybe apply a sticker and, if she notices just fall back on "Oh, that. I've had it for ages...I just dug it out of the cupboard again because I thought this gig needed it".

Works like a charm!

Back