Headroom?

mikemoritz

I've got a question about headroom while monitoring. I just picked up a pair of ns10s, and for a temporary amplifier I will be using a 30 watt marantz reciever (til school where I will probably be running off a friend's QSC). I was told that running the 30 watt marantz will be bad for monitoring because the details won't be there becuase the amp will be pushed too hard. My friend said that the 1300 watt QSC will be better because it will push enough wattage through and barely be cranked. It somewhat makes sense, but could someone explain it to me? Also, will running the marantz be harmful to the monitors in any way because they are below the rated wattage (like distortionwise)?

Peace, love, and chicken,
Mike

No danger to the monitors unless you push the amp into clipping (which will be very easy to do since it is such low powered unit).

It also probably won't sound very good at all... you really need a good, clean and powerful amp to run NS10s off of.

Bruce

Powerful amp better control speakers. Because mehanical inertion, speaker cone do not follow amplified signal good when driven with weak amp - all details are lost and bass is muddy.
For monitoring, you need amp with good quality power supply ( big transformer, big electrolyte capacitors ), and it must be "fast" ( current/time increase value, V/sec ) to deliver details.
Bipolar transisor designs have tight bass, mos-fet have nice top-end. Hybrid designs are usually used for monitoring.

Back