Headphone choice

Vigo

So im looking for some headphone for both tracking AND mixing i was just wondering what would be a good choice i've stopped on some headphones that looks OK but since i got no experience with buying them i was looking for some advices...

http://www.amazon.ca/Beyerdynamic-7...42850&sr=1-5&keywords=beyerdynamic+headphones

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-701-Studi...UTF8&qid=1421942957&sr=8-1&keywords=akg+k1000

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH1440...&qid=1421943002&sr=8-2&keywords=Shure+SRH1840

That's about what i've seen that looks cool but again the only headphones i have are 5$ iphone buds so...

Thanks for any advice!

You would want closed-back for tracking....which is what the Beyerdynamic are....but open-back usually sound better and are prefered for quality listening, which is what the other two are.

That said...actual mixing with headpohones is not a good solution. You should use speaker monitors.

And please add to your list the Sennheiser 280 and 380. Both are excellent for tracking. Good noise cancellation. My wife was actually mad at me last night because she came in the room and talked to me for 5 minutes and I didn't respond...that's NOISE cancelling, get it son, Hyuk, hyuk hyuk. :)

The suggestion of course would depend on your budget but for me, when I am tracking (actually playing the instrument myself) I use a pair of Sennheiser HD280s which provides plenty of isolation to be able to hear what is coming through the monitor mix without completely drowning out the actual sound of the instrument in the room. When someone else is tracking and I am behind the board and in the same room, I use a pair of Sennheiser HD25-II with the vinyl earpads, which offer great isolation. When I am mixing I use a combination of two sets of Klein+Hummel Monitors (the O110D and the O300D w/ sub) and a pair of Sennheiser HD600 headphones.

I just got some Focal Spirit Pro headphones on a recommendation from my sweetwater rep. They are supposed to be super flat, good enough to track and mix on. I don't have another decent pair of phones to compare them to at the moment; hopefully they live up to what I was told.

Just be sure you don't use open back on a plane or something, as people will think you turn the volume up 110% ;)

Like Miro said, using any headphone except the extreme high end headphones (with an amp, of course) is not ideal for mixing.

For tracking you need closed back to minimize bleed and for mixing (which is not really preferred) you should use open back. I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 Pros (open back) that I use to support my main monitors during mixing. I will say these cans rock and IMO loosely have a "Genlec like" (I'm not saying they are equivalent to Genlec mains so please no blasting ;) ) quality in clarity.

sennhieser hd 280 pro are great for tracking, I've had mine almost 10 years, I've replaced the ear foam and headband once in that time, but unlike many other headphones you can still buy all the parts! worth every penny

Ive got the 770 250ohms...best thing about them is theyre comfy, I can wear them all day

but if I use them when mixing i have to EQ them out of the mix...theyve got a bump at 100hz, a dip at 4000, and another bump at 9000...overall they accentuate the bass...take that into account and Ive mixed full tracks almost completely through them (not recommended of course ;) )

cant speak for the others, never used them

So im looking for some headphone for both tracking AND mixing i was just wondering what would be a good choice i've stopped on some headphones that looks OK but since i got no experience with buying them i was looking for some advices...

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Headphone, 250 ohms: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Amazon.com: AKG K 701 Studio Reference Headphones - Open: Electronics

Amazon.com: Shure SRH1440 Professional Open Back Headphones (Black): Musical Instruments

That's about what i've seen that looks cool but again the only headphones i have are 5$ iphone buds so...

Thanks for any advice!
:

Let me add my absolute favorites. I love these guys they never seem to disappoint me

Amazon.com: Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone: Musical Instruments

another vote for sennheisers here.

I've got some HD600's and a couple of pair of HD580s too.

Also, I very rarely use closed back for tracking ..... having open air cans does about the same thing as taking one earcup off making it easier to hear your vocal pitches.
Bleed really isn't a problem EXCEPT if I run the cans super loud which I don't do as I prefer to not go deaf.

Sometimes if I'm doing a delicate soft acoustic git thing I'll go closed back but otherwise I don't.

Sennheiser 280's here.......I've only had 'em about 6-8 months, but I really like 'em....They do a great job at the isolation thing, a hell of a lot better than my old, cheap Sony's I've had for years (got 'em at Wal-Mart for $20 about 5-6 years ago :laughings:)...

Back