Harmonies

1) sing your vocal part normal and record it. first you push the record button, then you sing.
2) do the same thing, but put a washing peg firmly over your nostrals (note: again, don't forget to push record for you start.
3) get someone who really hates you to squeeze your balls as hard as possible (note: as not above, there, above)
4) same again, but first listen to La Paloma Blanca 6 times.

then play it all back, preferably all at the same time, and you'll have a 4 part harmony with effects

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Its best to sing the same part of the same song when you do 1,2,3 and 4 above

Rough crowd! Mixman, what are you recording with, and what effects do you have? I'm not a fan of harmonies myself, but a friend of mine is and says it's the hardest thing in the world to do well. Are you planning on doing all the parts, or are there others who will also sing?

Kelly, you huffing paint thinner again or what? I don't see any stars...

not yet anyway. It's early, though.

I like my balls squeezed.....but i couldnt concentrate if i was trying to sing....

To concentrate:

Just think of those high notes you couldn't reach before
Just think of your falcetto acomplishments
Can't anyone take anything serious anymore?
Music is supposed to be art... its serious.

I'm going to practise my jodeling now

Depends on wether you're doing the parts separately or all at once.

Obviously you can have a bit more control if you do them separately, like adding individual compression, tuning, and effects that you don't want applied to all tracks.

Last week I recorded a bluegrass band and we did a couple takes of all 4 of us singing harmonies. Then we layered it with individual takes of the better (more pitch conscious) singers and make those tracks a little more prominent in the mix. In the end it sounded like 16 people singing, but there were 4 distinct vocal parts.

I added a little bit of hall reverb, panned the individual parts: 1 hard left, 2 50% left, 3 50% right, 4 hard right, had the group parts panned from 50% left to 50% right. We ended up with a really cool wide sounding vocal harmony.

Hope that helped.

Back