Handy vocal mixing "trick".

Love the effect

Love how this is used on vocals but I'm curious as to if a realtime pitch-shifter would do the same leaving the sound file in tact. Then and again with computer recording these days it's just a matter of duplicating the track, saving it as new and then butchering it up. I'm gonna try this effect on a few things. Thanks for such a cool tip. :D

Actually I've used this on non-vocal things such as reverb for example to kind of dissociate the left/right channels from one another and push them further out, leaving a clear hole in the middle. Sounds good in small doses, but check mono compatibility if so warranted for your purposes.

help

i was wondering how do you do this trick with nuendo,, is the pitchshift a pluggin? i would appreciate it bro cuz what i heard you put up sounds great

Awesome, thanks for sharing that. :D

Great info, If you're like me and it's just what you needed to hear, just as you needed something for vocals.

I'll be trying it.

Cheers,
FM

yea this "effect" is fairly common in almost all music styles.
Anyways, the best way to achieve the sort of "subtle chorus" is to double track your main vocal line twice (or more), and then pan those hard left and right. Adjust the faders accordingly,

The subtle differences in pitch and timing caused by it being an actual take gives a much more organic, fuller,thicker , and overall better sound.

its the exact reason why you would double track guitar or bass lines then stereo pan instead of recording one take, duplicating, then panning duplicates.

you can buy Computer Music magazine issue 151 (May I think) and use the free Martin Eastwood Duet vst plugin that comes with it...does exactly whats being described here for the price of the magazine

duet.jpg

There are a couple (many) different ways to do this in Reaper. Here is how I did it yesterday. (Uses more CPU this way but not a problem here) Copy vocal track and paste to two separate tracks. Apply (insert) Readealy to each track set delay time 7 or so msec on track copy 1 do same on Copy 2 but set Readelay to 12-20 msec. Use 0% feedback on both delays. Pan each track hard left and right respectively. Then insert Reapitch on each track and adjust the amount of detuning you desire. You can easily do this by bussing the original signal to two return tracks with the delay pitch shift setup. Hope that helps. Be well all.

I use near exactly that "trick". For me it came from a military gig in the 80's and on break decided to see who was playing in the next room - it was Chaka Kahn! I spent the break with the soundman explaining how he got her sound on an Eventide and I ended up doing it with Yamaha gear.

Basically the unadorned track goes up the middle, and a copy pitch shifted left -6 cents and another +6 to the right. They aren't panned hard, just panned a little. The two pitch shifted tracks are delayed, one say 40 ms, the other 80 ms... or maybe 60 and 120... whatever it is they split the delay.

Plus I take the lead track and put it through a Summit tube eq and crank the shit out of the treble and then squash it with a cheap compressor (Boss RCL-10) which actually isn't a bad compressor at all but I really should get a Summit TLA-50. On cheap eq's like the ones that come with Cubase, I only get away with subtracting. The Summit eq can boost without adding bad artifacts. It adds a shine to the vocals. For me it was about how did David Foster get "that sound" with Earth, Wind and Fire?

Interesting read on the Motown use of it. :)

Back