Handy vocal mixing "trick".

Ford Van, thanks for the info. I just tried that techinique on a few tunes that I'm working on. It really sounds great on one of them...as you said, it's not for everything.

Reactions: NL5
Yeah, I find that it really isn't that great on a vocal that needs an "intimate" feel.

In rock songs, it can be pretty nice.

You can warp this effect even farther with a bit more delay and more pitch shift and get that Ozzy Osborne type of vocal effect.

4 - Pitch shift one track UP 12 cents (this would be .12 semitones).
5 - Pitch shift the other track DOWN 12 cents (this would be -.12 semitones)

I mention the .12 because some pitch shifters go by semitones instead of cents (the Cakewalk one goes by semitones, but the Sony product went be cents). 100 cents equals a semitone.
Sorry, I am making a big deal about this, but it is important that you get the pitch setting right! A 12 semitone change would not be so good!

if i was using adobe audition where would i do this?

Reactions: NL5
man this is real helpful...good post..and i swear i heard her before somewhere..

Ford Van said:
Yeah, I find that it really isn't that great on a vocal that needs an "intimate" feel.QUOTE]

I’m sorry if I’m greedy but what are some good techniques if you need an intimate feel?

Dude Thanks That Was The Most Helpful Thing Of All Time. I Am Using Logic Studio And You Just Made This So Much Easier Once Again Thanx !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you pitch shift and down 0.12 semitones in Cubase?

It's not 12 semitones--that would be too much! It's 12 cents--that's 12 one hundredths of a tone. In Cubase (SX3 anyway) you select the chunck of audio, then select Audio > Process > Pitch Shift.

There's a place to change by semitones and cents. Cents has a text entry field labeled Fine Tune. You can go up or down.

Thanks for the reply WhiteStrat! I use Cubase Essential 4 and couldn't find the pitch shift option in the audio process tab. I did a quick google search and found out that I have to use the "audiowarp" feature in my version of Cubase. I have no clue where that is, LOL.

Also, what does Ford Van mean by this: "Insert a delay set to 25ms, with no feedback (repeats) on each track".

Is it a Ping Pong Delay he's talking about? What's "ms"?

Thanks for the reply WhiteStrat! I use Cubase Essential 4 and couldn't find the pitch shift option in the audio process tab. I did a quick google search and found out that I have to use the "audiowarp" feature in my version of Cubase. I have no clue where that is, LOL.

Also, what does Ford Van mean by this: "Insert a delay set to 25ms, with no feedback (repeats) on each track".

Is it a Ping Pong Delay he's talking about? What's "ms"?

ms= milliseconds. You can just slide the track forward by the amount of ms you want. Cubase should show a little bubble that says how much it's moving the audio. Each ms is .001 seconds.

Otherwise, he is talking about adding a mono delay with no feedback and no original signal either.

ms= milliseconds. You can just slide the track forward by the amount of ms you want. Cubase should show a little bubble that says how much it's moving the audio. Each ms is .001 seconds.

Otherwise, he is talking about adding a mono delay with no feedback and no original signal either.

Yep, that's how I do it.

Back