Handling USB mixer and midi

adventureboy

Hi there, I'm wanting to add a Behringer Xenyx 1832 USB mixer to my small home studio set up to use with my DAW (Cubase 5). I'd like to use it for the pre's and also some mixing possibly with outboard.
At present, I use a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB interface for the pre's when recording stereo mic'd guitars, elec guitars, bass etc. The Saffire is also equipped with a midi interface which means I can hook my Yamaha keyboard up and trigger VST instruments on MIDI channels in Cubase along side my WAV recorded files. I mix everything 'in the box' at the moment but want to incorporate other options, hence the mixing console.
However, the mixing desk doesn't have a midi capability (at least I think not), so is there a way that I can somehow route or combine the mixing desk and Saffire 6 to maintain the line/midi input capability? Bearing in mind they are both USB and Cubase (as far as I know??) can only select one sound/usb source.
Rob

You should be able to use the MIDI capabilities on the Saffire even if you are using using the mixer for audio. ASIO doesn't drive MIDI. I used a Tascam for for audio, but kept my M-Audio MIDI plugged in (I didn't want to crawl behind my computer and unhook stuff) and I had no issues. MIDI data uses a different set of driver interfaces, you should be OK.

Just to make sure I understood your question, Saffire for MIDI connection and Behringer for audio?

yes, DM60 that's exactly it Behringer for Audio, Saffire for midi. I never realised that midi worked independently of ASIO. That's reall helpful, thanks so much :)

BUT I would ask why you want to use the Behr for audio? It's audio A-D is only 16 bit and (IMO) the Saffire's mic preamps are much better. IF its because you want more audio inputs, be aware that the Behr only delivers a stereo USB signal - so if you want to use multiple audio inputs, you can pan 1 (or more left and 1 (or more) right and record just 2 separate tracks at one time.
Unless you are using a MAC, you can't use two USB audio devices at one time (there's a work-around with some software, though).

But you can use one interface for audio and another for MIDI at the same time.

Back