Guys need help!! How to achieve this type of deep sound in a mix?

manishsingh

Guys, I was listening to virtual riot never let me go. At 4:09 mark in the end there is a piano section comes in that appears to be sound soo deep and soft . I cant able to achieve that sound in my mix. I know it may be processed with some sort of reverb plugins like valhalla shimmer? But how do they make there piano sound soo compressed on the same time retaining the dynamics of the sound?
Here is the link to song--
Virtual Riot - Never Let Me Go - YouTube

Look for synth / keyboard patches that sound like that. 'soft almost brushed like attack shape, very unlike a 'piano's attack. Then reverbs etc are just the dressings on top and around it.

Look for synth / keyboard patches that sound like that. 'soft almost brushed like attack shape, very unlike a 'piano's attack. Then reverbs etc are just the dressings on top and around it.
But how do these guys attain such a depth ? It sound like it is coming from some sort of closed space . I had heard few mixes also , in which recorded guitar sound soo separated and it feels like it is on front and is at large distance. I hope it makes sense. I have tried also stereo shaper and experimenting with several delays but cannot able to achieve that deepness.

A (real) piano can have that sort of attack, It might be harder to achieve those dynamics from most plugins tho.

It sounds like the reverb is very saturated with a long tail but not very loud. I'm noticing that at first, I'm just hearing reverb from the last wub. As that fades out, the piano 'verbs start building up and become noticeable.

So I guess: play it live in a big room with great mics if at all possible. Barring that, set the dynamics on your piano vsti as soft as possible and then turn up the volume after the VSTi stage. Crank all the verb settings except for wet/dry mix all the way up.

Just a few bits to add.
One, the 'sound of verbs' -are to a fair extent- what you send them. (I.e. the source again, is a big part of it.
Two, notice space in the mix is cleared out there for that soft pillowy effect to work.
You can use dynamic controllers to alter the wave shape of things- but to get to 'there' from a 'piano sound' might be a stretch.

I believe there is a second synth playing the root notes at the start of each chord...that's adding to the pillow-ey effect. The piano sounds to me like something you can do with a keyboard and reverb/delay. With the synth layered under it, it sounds a little more full.

Back