Guitar Stereo Field

o0Charlie0o

How can I get this kind of stereo effect on the guitar without getting phase issues? This sounds like its panned to the left a bit, however it also sounds wide. Its not just a solid clip panned.

Any ideas?

couple of options maybe

Double tracking the guitar would be an answer but if you want the overall sound of the guitar to be a little of center (ie a little to the left)couldn't you do one of the following:

Option 1:
One guitar track panned 100% left
Second guitar track panned 80% right

or

Option 2:
One guitar track panned 100% left at volume X
Second guitar track panned 100% right at volume x minus 25%

This is just an educated guess.

Well that wouldn't really give it that stereo feel... That would just give that off center feel. Unless the second guitar is 15 miliseconds off place, but then that causes phase issues...

I think having two separately recorded guitar parts gives it the stereo feel. When my band recorded I recorded two "identical" guitar parts through the same rig. Our engineer then panned each part hard left and right respectively. This gave a nice big stereo rythmn sound, that sounded equally weighted on each side. By trying what I mentioned in the previous post, it would "tilt" the weighting slightly to the left, so the stereo effect should still be there but it would just sound a little more panned to the left. Its the slight differences in each performance that gives the guitar the stereo effect.

I agree with double tracking the guitar, and that's exactly what I've done, panning each to the left and right, respectively.

Back