great on mixing speakers and headphones yet muddy on computer speakers

trikolad

I have made a recording with fat guitar sounds and piano. Much fatter than I usually do. sounding somewhat like hammock. The problem is it sounds good on my mixing speakers and it sounds very good in headphones but it sounds very far away and muddy on computer speakers.
Any way to cut the sound in a way that it could sound on computer as it sounds on headphones?
I tried lowering the reverbs and the total bass but it didn't help too much.

Is it possible to post a clip?

One trick is to listen to the mix at low volumes. If it's too loud, everything sounds good.

do the computer speakers come with a sub. I've had similar issues when my sub was set up for gaming (loud, high crossover)

Listen to a professional mix (commercial album) that sounds similar to your music on both sets of speakers - does it translate better onto the computer speakers?

The only things I've ever heard that translates well to computer speakers are voicemails. And even that's a stretch.

Audified makes a plugin called "mix checker" which is on sale now for $134. IMHO .. trying to make your mix sound good on computer speakers might be a bit counterproductive.

Audified makes a plugin called "mix checker" which is on sale now for $134. IMHO .. trying to make your mix sound good on computer speakers might be a bit counterproductive.

Oh man. Not...Looked at the site.

Does the elephant in the room not understand that even by simulating other listening sources, you still are listening from the source that is lying to you to begin with? So simulation on a poor source is at best, no better than you started with? Do these people that sell this crap have any morals?

I could send 8 differently eq'd versions of a mix and call it whatever. It won't change or provide anything useful as the simulations are still dependent on what you are listening from. And I surely wouldn't charge some sucker for that.

I call bullshit/shenanigans there. :spank:

Last edited:
The only things I've ever heard that translates well to computer speakers are voicemails. And even that's a stretch.

We should actually define 'computer speakers' here. I do have a pair that tell me when to bother moving forward...If we are talking built in laptop speakers, well. Yeah, waste of time.

My wife has computer speakers on her PC. Two little things that sit on top of the desk and a little 'sub' that sits underneath. That sub does really nasty things to music. It is a natural mud injector, and no music sounds good on them

These are the PC speakers I use. I must say even after the ADAM A7X upgrade, these are staying over the KRK RPG28's. They tell me more even though they are shit.

Well they don't make them anymore...Funny though because I found them to be quite good for shit speakers.

Thought you sold the KRKs

Yep. Dood hasn't picked them up yet though. They collecting dust. Pretty much what they did for the last couple years unless I wanted to be all about da bass... lol

Band I record and work with is 300 miles away. He just hasn't had the opportunity to drive down to get them. Shipping for these heavy bastards is not worth it. $30 in gas cheaper.

What a slacker. I remember you had them for 200 bucks. That's cheap, especially to a KRK fan.
Hell, If I was local, I would have picked them up just for a set for tracking that I wouldn't mind blowing up. LOL
:D

What a slacker. I remember you had them for 200 bucks. That's cheap, especially to a KRK fan.
Hell, If I was local, I would have picked them up just for a set for tracking that I wouldn't mind blowing up. LOL
:D

:) Right!

He did recently have a baby. Well, his wife did....

Still $200...

My mixes sound great on my computer and my sound system wasn't expensive at all. That being said, I NEVER try to make my music sound good for computer speakers.

Back