Getting rhythm guitar to it in the mix

Will do sometime tomorrow, that is post a new mix. I could send you a rough one now to show off what I mean of the guitar tone. It almost sounds as if I have too much high end. Maybe more of a high end cut? I brought down levels and kicked up some others. Things are coming through better but the more they do, the less the rhythm guitar does. The less distinguishable palm mutes become.

I am just curious, did you read what I posted? Keep in mind that adjustment of levels to any amp sim or effect is going to completely change the sound. Expect that man.

Start over and get your gain structure right. Then start mixing and adjusting tone.

Or don't...

Lol well I have been trying that this whole time. I did read it. Sorry if it sounded like I didn't. The shhhshshsh noise isn't back round noise I am referring to. Not only do I have a gate on it, but I keep my gain low, and before putting a gate on it, I try to make the gain as low as possible as to eliminate the back round noise and get good clarity. Too much gain kills the tonality, this I know. The TS808 I literally put no gain on. I just crank the volume and tone on it. I, again, started making adjustments and am getting the same problem from amp to amp. At the very least, I can conclude its not an amp. I am kinda worried its one of 2 things atm. Either my PUPs or my plam mute technique, which, I suppose, does not belong in this thread.

So thinking more about what you said, do you think the volume compromises the "warmth" or lack of with the amp. Am I not getting chug chug with the palm mutes and instead getting a shh shh because its an amp sim? I haven't heard many people demoing VSTs getting it. I am very distraught on this. I love Peripheries tone, but any time I come close to it, putting it in the mix just kills it. I am doing another mix here in a little bit to send what I mean. I could also show you the guitar tone not in the mix as well.

Yeah man, post up a sample of the guitar alone also. It is tough to give any opinion without hearing what you hear.

As far as the palm mutes, that is part of the issue with using a SIM in my experience. There is always the 'fuzzy' tone with sims. Using a speaker emulator can help that, but it is really tough to get that full bodied crunch of a palm mute without a real speaker giving it the balls it needs. I am no guru of amp sims myself so I can't really tell you if your pups are the issue.

Please excuse the sloppy playing. I haven't had much time today, but I did raise and add more copression to the kick, and made the bass bassier. Its insane how much different it sounds with that damn little button on or off. The tone on the guitar I changed a bit but its not what I am looking for. It fits better, but again, every time I go for that damn Djent chug I get nothing but fizz. I had to cut a bunch of high end to get rid of the fizz on this.

Attachments

• Something Metal Mix (1).mp3
    490.1 KB · Views: 12
I can make this "Djent" more by adding some presence or contour, but in the mix it just sounds like stabs. If I make the guitar any lower in the mix, it also sounds like stabs.

Attachments

• Something Metal Just Guitars.mp3
    345.6 KB · Views: 6
Dood, I am not sure how to put this nice...

Sounds quite good to me for an amp sim. If you want real tone, then record with an amp. Otherwise it seems you are as far as you can get with sims. I am actually surprised that you are asking about little shit with sims when you already have it better than most who ask about this strive for.

Are you ADHD ADD or obsessive compulsive like me? :)

ROFL I am very very OCD when it comes to my music and especially my guitar tone. I have heard people get better tones with POD software though and have no idea how. I take that as a compliment, so not the wrong way at all lmfao thank you. I guess that means I need to start looking at other things for tone.

All I heard is rhythm guitar and drums. Put this mix away, pull out some AC/DC and listen to the sound of their guitarist. Then listen to what is missing in yours. Right now it is too treble and bright with almost no mid low frequency resonance. I would cut a little at 2K and add some at about 300 through 600Htz. Good luck.
Rod Norman
Engineer

So my main issue right now is getting it to set it without it being too loud but all the tones coming out of it I want. Everything else in the mix is perfect, but the rhythm guitar is just a tiny bit off and it really becomes more noticeable when it goes into the master. The tone sounds great on its own but, again, just sounds a little out of place in the mix. Attached is the mix. Any thoughts on how to get this to come out better would be much appreciated. If any more information is needed please ask.

Thanks rod. I'm not an acdc fan by any means nor of there tone, but doesn't mean it won't work. I'll give it a shot and repost.

So my question would be, if my bass instruments ( like my kick and my bass guitar) are almost clipping, should i just bring the volume levels down to get it to come through?and if so, do i bring up the overall level of everything after?

So my question would be, if my bass instruments ( like my kick and my bass guitar) are almost clipping, should i just bring the volume levels down to get it to come through?and if so, do i bring up the overall level of everything after?

In the digital realm, you should be no where near clipping on anything. Don't worry about overall volume during the mixing stage. Turn up the volume knob on your amp/speakers if you want it louder. You can raise the overall volume during the mastering or finalizing stage of the process.

So, set your stereo buss fader to zero gain. Lower all your individual track faders so their signals are mid-range on each track meter. Then mix from there. It might be quiet overall; that's okay.

Thanks chill. Really appreciate it. All my nobs are at zero, nothing is clipping but is close. I think i probably just need to bring things down and maybe use some compression to boost levels after i get those volume levels down? Here is a better question, what as far as decibles should i be at when starting to mix. I hear-6 is a good place to end up at before going into a master.

Last edited:
The problem absolutely was my pickups. I was using an Agile guitar with cephus pickups. To get any clarity out of anything i had to take out a lot of bottom end. I just had full shreds installed in my Jackson and i can add as much low to it and everything is still so crisp!

Back