Gain automation sucks in Platinum

ido1957

9K Gold Member
So long story short, you cannot copy gain automation in Platinum (Sonar/Cakewalk) without taking the actual clips with it. $%#$% Pissed me off because I had hoped to copy the automation and just do slight tweaks on a doubling track.

Anyway - why automate gain? Mainly so I could reduce the compression on a track with huge volume differences. It wasn't perfect but I knew I would still use a compressor to add some final light leveling. Plus my pre already adds all the color I want. Mic technique ya ya ya I know....

I guess I have used a limiter but I didn't want to slam it.

I'll probably not use gain compression in the future - the inability to copy it is annoying. For example, if I want to comp the track after the fact I'm screwed as I can't copy the automation.

To get around this (which I did) I just did volume automation, exported the track to a new one, then started from there.

Automation is a painful process, took me a couple of hours to do one track. And I had 4 to do...so you can see my point.

And when will they add "Platinum" to the Cakewalk forum title???? lol

I don't use sonar, but isn't there volume handles on the audio clips? I just group the clips together, cut them up and turn up/down the volumes on the parts that need it. It's basically the same thing, but it's faster than drawing automation.

Also, Nuendo/cubase has different automation modes, check to see if Sonar does too. You might find a mode that lets you do what you want. (tie the automation to the track instead of the clip)

After a bit of google-ing I found a handy method of splitting the clips and giving them each a gain envelope.
Basically it inserts the nodes for you where it thinks the clips vary in level within themselves.

This doesn't fix the envelope copying problem but it looks like an easier/faster way to automate gain.

Vocal Point

Here's a picture of a test I did on a sample track so you can see what it looks like:
Gain Clips.jpg

And no clip handles on the clips in Platinum. There is a mode but it only works with everything except gain automation.

Edit - I managed to comp a piece from another track into the track.
It copies in ok but you have to follow the same steps to split it and display the gain envelope for the new section.

Gain Clips2.jpg

Last edited:
Group the clips together, so when you cut one, you cut all the clips in the group.

Can you expand ? Not sure exactly what this means.
For example, I usually comp the track and then bounce it to one clip (the track in the picture is one complete clip). When I did this split thingy it split the entire track/clip into sections.

In both nuendo and samplitude, you can select a bunch of clips and cut them, move them, etc... all at once by the same amount. There is also a way to group them together, so that when you do something to one, it happens to the others.

You just have to remember to ungroup them when you need to edit one clip by itself.

In both nuendo and samplitude, you can select a bunch of clips and cut them, move them, etc... all at once by the same amount. There is also a way to group them together, so that when you do something to one, it happens to the others.

You just have to remember to ungroup them when you need to edit one clip by itself.

Same in Sonar Platinum, whatever you do to one clip in a group of selected clips, it does to all selected clips

Back