Full Mixing and Mastering Tutorial - Using VST Plugins Only

Hello everybody! I've just uploaded a video where I show you the exact vst plugins that I've used for a particular mix.

I am also explaining to you the reason that I've used these settings-plugins.

You can watch this no matter if you're using cubase, sonar, pro tools, reaper etc.
The concept is the same.

Hope you like it! :)

Consider 1080p for all the small details

I am also curious about that.

There have been opportunities that I could make use of being able to do that. Not a clue where to start.

Yeah for me personally, I'm plenty comfortable with recording and mixing. I don't have the slightest idea how to even make a bad video.

No, no, no way. I'm not an apple guy. I had an iphone for a little while a long time ago. Sucks ass. PC & Android for me!

Hey guys!

I am glad that you liked the way I had created the video, I hope you'll like the content of the video itself too haha!

Now to your questions :)

Yeap, I am a pc guy too!

I think that you can really get more (and by more I mean really really more) things, like CPU power and stuff,
with the same budget using a PC. I also love android too , so PC and android for me, too.

I used camtasia recorder/studio to record and edit the videos. Nothing special, but I can really create a tutorial for you to check out my exact process :)

Let me know if I can be any more help for you,
cheers!

Is this the song that is mixed in the ReThink mixing course by Graham Cochrane from Recording Revolution?

Yeap I've bought it, I was curious to check it out.

I've found the original song here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aATI3-IG2n8

Well, I hope I could send you the mixing stems to let you mix step by step, but I am not sure
I can do that, it would be stupid of me to make the files public for download when graham sells them so...

But I am sure it's not wrong to show you my way of mixing this track and thought procedure for free :)

You can still though, buy his course and check out his way of mixing and the plugins he's using and also download the stems

just looked at your videos and site. Very good. It is always good to see someone trying to get better in their career.

Just a few suggestions that "may" help:
1. Have an about page on your site and videos. I think viewers/subscribers would like to know more about you and a little about what makes you good/different.
2. Maybe divide the articles and videos into beginner and advanced categories. Would be easier for you and for your viewers.
3. I have seen a few people do it. Have table of contents for your youtube videos. So if I am only interested in the vocal mixing part, I can jump to it than just watching the whole video or searching for it. I hope more videos do that.

Also, someone asked about a video about mixing voice over a backing track track in the comments. I would love to watch one of those. It is harder to get the voice sit in the mix and to make changes to the instrumental track as a whole.

hope it helps and good luck!

And you can download Camtasia and use it free for a month. TechSmith | Camtasia, Screen Recorder and Video Editor. There are a few, but it is the best out there. Very easy to use.

The hard part about all these videos is i don't know who to watch. There are a lots of them on youtube. And they all claim to know their art very well. Does anyone have have any recommendations?

At the of the video I have added the final result so you can be the one to judge if I worth your time :)

I try to post as many results as possible on each tutorial so people can decide if they like the sound or not. If they do so they know I don't speak rubbish hehe.

just looked at your videos and site. Very good. It is always good to see someone trying to get better in their career.

1. Have an about page on your site and videos. I think viewers/subscribers would like to know more about you and a little about what makes you good/different.
2. Maybe divide the articles and videos into beginner and advanced categories. Would be easier for you and for your viewers.
3. I have seen a few people do it. Have table of contents for your youtube videos. So if I am only interested in the vocal mixing part, I can jump to it than just watching the whole video or searching for it. I hope more videos do that.

Also, someone asked about a video about mixing voice over a backing track track in the comments. I would love to watch one of those. It is harder to get the voice sit in the mix and to make changes to the instrumental track as a whole.

WoW thanks for your suggestions my friend. I will try to make all these changes thanks

Lovely song, pretty good recording. I found the dry version to be better sounding than the wet one. The wet one had lost its vitality as a result of a lot of signal loss. The dry one with a little re-balancing would have rocked. But still interesting video and share! The way I would use this tutorial would be to get some ideas of what plugins could be worth checking out and as inspirational content, great music with or without effects. I'm sure there are some useful bits and pieces about the techniques too worth looking more closely into. So overall, interesting stuff, thanks for sharing!

All in all, interesting music, high quality tutorial, good set of effects, but be maybe a little more critical about what does not work among all of these mixing decisions. I know that can sometimes be difficult to tell, but this is really where you can make the tutorials stand out - all the techniques working particularly well. A tip would be to go through the mix again and post a new version of it where you've revised the mixing decisions and pointed out what worked more when you re-considered the options more carefully and what you learned from this. A hint would be to automate the process of removing the current "inefficient" fx applications and replacing them with better ones, then use that as a technique to make it shine. The technique would demo how you can take advantage of inefficiencies in order to make it even better than when those inefficiencies would not be present in the mix. You can use the A/B technique and explain how you use that in combination with your ears to decide what works and what doesn't work. Please have a look at Dave Pensado's "Into The Lair" for ideas about this. Good luck!

Last edited:

Step 2 has been completed.

I've hired a coder cause I am not really the best at coding (well I can change some basic stuff but the advanced stuff are not for me hehe!).

I've changed the menu navigation, easier on the eyes, better sub-categories, easier to find what you're looking for, also added an option for the website to filter for you posts with videos only :)

Also, improved algorithm on the search function on the top right of the screen. It used to search keywords based on titles. Now it searches the posts.

Hope you like it! Let me know what you think!

Step 2 has been completed.

I've hired a coder cause I am not really the best at coding (well I can change some basic stuff but the advanced stuff are not for me hehe!).

I've changed the menu navigation, easier on the eyes, better sub-categories, easier to find what you're looking for, also added an option for the website to filter for you posts with videos only :)

Also, improved algorithm on the search function on the top right of the screen. It used to search keywords based on titles. Now it searches the posts.

Hope you like it! Let me know what you think!

Awesome! It makes it easy for you to make articles since now your frame of thought is minimized to either beginner or advanced. Same for a user too. Also, try to have a purpose for your site. When you have to make decisions, the purpose of the site in mind will make things easier. You might have to think a bit though it sounds simple. What are you offering that others don't offer? Why shoulld I read your compressor article when here are thousand out there? The more questions you ask, the better your vision.

1. Menu: I feel the menu looks a little bit cluttered still. My suggestions: Top bar: Articles & Videos, Guitar & Bass, Drum Softwares. The simpler the better. Also please take out the underlines from the pulldown menu. It will look cleaner.
Second bar: About Me, Contact Me, My work, Win Audio Gear

You can add contact me in about me and add 'be my patrons' under your videos and articles. Looks a bit cheesy when you post it right on homepage for a new visitor. After they hear your work, then it is best to put that sample. And they will be more inclined to pay right after hearing it.

2. Add a popular articles: on the right side under the Like my site. These should be your best work so far. For a new visitor, these articles and videos should impress them so that they subscribe.

You show them how to navigate the site. If you make people think about where to go, where to click, then you lost them. so think how a new visitor will do after visiting your site or what you want them to do. That is called design. You make them see things so that they do what you want them to do. The return visitrs know where to find ur stuff so don't worry too much about those.

Also post interviews of people doing great int he field, like other people who run websites and such. They will post the interview on their facebook, sites and their readers will get a peek at your site. Also you build a great network. They will love to do an interview bcos that promote their work too. So a win-win for both

When you search, music production, your site should be in the first page or second page of google.

Adding: Try taking out the blue shade under title articles. I think people tend to focus on it too much. And it is not showing anything important to stand out.

Hope it helps and keep up the great work.

Last edited:
Back