Free mixing for 1 song

Ohnik

Hi people, I don't know if it's still allowed to post this (I read one post from years ago about someone offering services), but I am a mixing engineer and I am offering 1 free mixing for 1 song, if you are interested just reply.

I am offering one free mixing for 1 song, 100% free, for improve my portfolio. I saw a post about one person offering mixing service here so I thought wouldn't have problem to me post this too.

I am offering one free mixing for 1 song, 100% free, for improve my portfolio. I saw a post about one person offering mixing service here so I thought wouldn't have problem to me post this too.

It not against the rules to offer such. But I must ask what makes you feel you can mix different/better than another member here?

I personally only work with artists/bands that I feel I can benefit. I must say I find it odd that you just want anything to mix and will do for free.

You should just hang out with the crowd and place a link to your services in your signature line. That way it doesn't sound weird...

It not against the rules to offer such. But I must ask what makes you feel you can mix different/better than another member here?

I personally only work with artists/bands that I feel I can benefit. I must say I find it odd that you just want anything to mix and will do for free.

You should just hang out with the crowd and place a link to your services in your signature line. That way it doesn't sound weird...

I keep simple my proposal, I know what I am doing, I prepared myself with courses, I won't say I am better than anyone, but every mixer is different, my proposal is different, because my tastes, my way mixing is different, I am really needing a large portfolio and know new people. It's only a trial, with two revisions.

People here are also mixers, or learning how to. Go to the 'mix this' section and grab some files, if you want practice.

People here are also mixers, or learning how to. Go to the 'mix this' section and grab some files, if you want practice.

I know, but sometimes someone needs mixing and practice is good, thanks for the advice, but I need portfolio.

I know, but sometimes someone needs mixing and practice is good, thanks for the advice, but I need portfolio.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4486330

Well you make a portfolio by doing work right? Get to work then...

I could send you tracks that would make it easy to mix, but that would be because I spent the time recording them well.

So how would your profile be accurate if you didn't do the dirty work to get there?

I also mix projects that were recorded elsewhere, but I would not touch it if it was a poor recording to begin with.

I see what you are looking to achieve but man, you gotta spend some time in the trenches. IMO. I could be wrong...

JFC, the guy is offering free mixing to build up his portfolio.
Take him up on his offer or don't :D

All I see on this thread is him getting a bunch of shit. Lol :D

JFC, the guy is offering free mixing to build up his portfolio.
Take him up on his offer or don't :D

All I see on this thread is him getting a bunch of shit. Lol :D

:)

I am not intentionally giving shit. Just wondering what the goal is. I surely would not think of myself as a producer/mixer without knowing what I was doing. Then I suppose I never had to put together a portfolio myself.

I am not even sure what or why that is...

And seriously, I am in no way trying do be disrespectful.

[MENTION=112380]jimmys69[/MENTION],

Not aimed at you just seems to be the vibe of the thread starting from the first response.

Just wondering what the goal is.

You offer free mixing...and maybe you get a dozen or so people who are in need of mixing help that bite, because FREE is a big seller in the home rec world.
So then you mix a couple dozen freebies...and you post them on your website as "clients" you done work for...and that's the "portfolio" that gives you some kind of cred when later on when you start charging $$ and the paying customers show up and see the "portfolio" and assume that you're an in-demand mixer with all those clients.

:)

One problem (like you already touched on)...if you get a bunch of newbs with really shitty tracks looking for free mixing...well, you know those mixes are going to be shit, for the most part, and for them to be of any "cred" value...you end up working much harder to get them even decent sounding (something your future paying clients will not know...how hard you worked to polish the turds)...so it's not as simple as doing freebies to build a worthwhile portfolio.
Of course...you can keep offering freebies, and just pick the ones that are good to use in your portfolio.

It's a way to get there...
I don't think it's a bad thing...I mean, if the mixing is good, and its free...there's no real downside, but kinda has a tone of desperation to it... "I am really needing a large portfolio"...as though someone went into the whole studio thing too deep, and now has to generate the work to justify it...etc.
Maybe it's something else driving it...but it does have that anxious vibe about it.

The part that puts me off...is that it's all anonymous...without any link to a website, etc.
Most guys at least show some basic "studio" webpage and a bit of info if they are doing it as some kind of business.
At least then it looks like you're open for biz...and willing to do some freebies to get things rolling.

Every somebody started out as a nobody. And a lot did free work. Look at all those starting out in the 'Real Studios' working as unpaid interns coiling cables, sweeping and making coffee, etc.
For portfolio stuff being credentials......Well, I had a buddy who didn't know shit about recording. He was a keyboard player, knew about sequencing, and had played in a few bands. But he never even had a 4 Track.

SSL was doing weekend long G series turorial clinics. At the end of the weekend you got an official SSL trained cert. But how much can someone inexperienced know about a big league SSL console in one weekend.

Didn't matter, he had his cert. His 'porfolio'
He landed a paid gig as a second engineer at a Mowtown owned studio.with.......you guessed it, an SSL G series console. Still didnt know shit but he worked hard and in a years time they let him do whole sessions as lead engineer.

Everybody gotta start somewhere.

:D

SSL was doing weekend long G series turorial clinics. At the end of the weekend you got an official SSL trained cert. But how much can someone inexperienced know about a big league SSL console in one weekend.

Didn't matter, he had his cert. His 'porfolio'
He landed a paid gig as a second engineer at a Mowtown owned studio.with.......you guessed it, an SSL G series console. Still didnt know shit but he worked hard and in a years time they let him do whole sessions as lead engineer.

An now days they have college audio courses for degrees...and most of those kids can't even get close to a Motown studio type gig with them.
If they only had an SSL certificate. :p

An now days they have college audio courses for degrees...and most of those kids can't even get close to a Motown studio type gig with them.
If they only had an SSL certificate. :p

Yup :facepalm: :D
Where's our rolling on the floor laughing smiley
:D

Edit: Yeah the SSL cert was the deal closer, but what got him in the door was the balls and the ability to bullshit them that he knew what he was doing. He knew full well that his duties would be making coffee, vacuming, coiling cables etc. But being on the inside there gave him the experience to where after a while he actually did know what he was doing. Plus all his after hour sessions with my band, and others helped. I was happy to be a guinea pig for his real world SSL training :D

Last edited:
Hi people, I don't know if it's still allowed to post this (I read one post from years ago about someone offering services), but I am a mixing engineer and I am offering 1 free mixing for 1 song, if you are interested just reply.

To be honest I'm not sure this is a great thing to start encouraging.
There's an influx of people offering free things so it "isn't advertising", but obviously these people are building up mailing lists and contacts and, in your case, a portfolio.

If you want sessions to mix for whatever reason we have a mix-this section where you can grab what you like,
but I think, personally, I'd want to discourage direct solicitation.

Back