Fosten t50rp

andrushkiwt

I went to GC to upgrade from my Senn HD280 Pros with the intent of picking up Beyer 770's or AKG 701's. They didn't have the AKG's and the Beyer's were a "worse" version of that model, as in not the "pro" version or something. I figured the closed-back style of the Senn's were affecting my mixing negatively, so this is why I opted for an open or semi-open model. Not having the two I desired, I picked up these Fostex hp's. I have to say that I was disappointed. The sticker price was $179 but they gave me a discount down to $120. The bass was very indistinct and lacking - the guitars I mixed through it came out honky, though they weren't that way in the phones - and the volume is very, very quiet. I don't mix loud all the time, but I do like to check the balance of things when it's played that way. They felt flimsy and unreliable too.

ah well. I know each set takes time to get used to, so upgrading phones may not be worth it if they are in the same price range, I think. Only if it's a significant jump (up to $500 pair, for example) will the adjustment period take less time, I'm thinking. Jumping phones within a $100-range is only going to confuse me more and keep me learning the new phone over and over. A big jump might improve the mixes right away (i mean by less time cross-checking and making adjustments).

anyone use these? what's your comparison to the HD280's? After almost 2 years of mixing with the Senn's, am I right in thinking that I should stick with them unless it's a big price jump for quality?

I've used the AKG's and they do not translate mixes well. If you have the Senn HD280's.....keep them. Use them. Don't waste more money. They're VERY good as far as headphones go. Trust me.........I've purchased and used MANY more and less expensive brands and models than the 280's.............and I still use the Senn's mostly. And......you just learned a good lesson about trying to use cans for mixing. Yes........getting used to a set can help you to mix a bit better on them...........but they will NEVER substitute for a good room and a good set of monitors.

I got this very same advice from guys right here some time ago. But..........I was SURE there had to be a magic set of headphones out there that could do it all..........including mixing. Nope........wrong.

Back