First time recording band and do not know how to mix.

I never said I don't like you. I don't know you. I only know your lame spamtroll act and the crap you post, so I respond to that. You could be a great guy behind the bullshit. But I agree to let it go. Have a nice day.

Stop fighting! Enjoy you vacation.

I plan on recording demos of the band, all the instruments recorded individually. I have an 8 channel interface and a number of microphones that should be enough to record all instruments. Nothing too fancy, just budget equipment, but should get the job done. I'm recording the bass direct. My question is how do I plan on recording vocal tracks to get a nice stereo spread of the vocals?

Stop fighting! Enjoy you vacation.

I plan on recording demos of the band, all the instruments recorded individually. I have an 8 channel interface and a number of microphones that should be enough to record all instruments. Nothing too fancy, just budget equipment, but should get the job done. I'm recording the bass direct. My question is how do I plan on recording vocal tracks to get a nice stereo spread of the vocals?

Why do you want a "stereo spread" on the vocals? And what kind of "stereo spread" are you referring to? That could mean different things from actual double tracking and panning to using stereo effects.

I do not have any clue how to plan and track vocals other than record a single track and place it centered. Also, all I know is to add a harmony to the original track at lower volume.

I do not have any clue how to plan and track vocals other than record a single track and place it centered. Also, all I know is to add a harmony to the original track at lower volume.

You can send vocals to a mono aux with a stereo out. Put a pitch shifter on it and add just a few cents to it. Mix it in very gently. If you go too far, it'll sound like a chorus effect. If you use it gently, it'll make the vocal seem a lot wider than the faux mono you get between two stereo speakers.

Often that's all you need. A single mono main vocal track is enough. You can put a little reverb and/or delay on it to give it some "space". Then drop backups and harmonies around it or under it. There is no rule here. Do whatever you want. Just start with good performances.

Here are a couple of tips for harmonies, in case you love harmonies, cause I do :D

1) Record 4 more takes and pan them. 2 takes 100% left/right. 2 takes 85% left/right. Send them to bus, mix to taste. The original vocal should be centered (5 takes in total).
2) If you can't re-record use waves doubler (the version with the 4 delays), it does pretty much the same thing, but doing it manually sounds more natural. But this can work pretty well too!
3) Use the haas effect by duplicating the track and adding 5-15ms delay to create a pseudo-take. I wouldn't use this if I were you, but it can work when you can't re-record or don't own waves doubler for example that does this better than the haas effect and worse than re-recording manually.

Some things to experiment on :)

Sorry if some members already have mentioned some of the above, I'm in a hurry but wanted to help

Back