First time mixing a band

saddr_weirdr

Hey guys, first time posting!
I hate to add to the pool of "what's wrong with my mix threads" but so far I've only found a bunch of midi based mixes and not too much on 'real' instruments. This is my first time really getting into the mixing process and after doing some basic compression, eq'ing and setting gain levels, I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to go from here:

https://soundcloud.com/dawson-goodrich/without-you

Things I know I need to fix are that the vocals are overall a little low in the mix up until the end and that the vocals in the first chorus bit need to be re-tracked.
Any advice would be appreciated, but keep in mind this is definitely a budget production; the drums only have one mic, the rooms were not treated, etc.
Thank you in advance!! :D

You know, I had all sorts of deep technical stuff to say, but mostly it comes down to turning that guitar down during the loud parts, and maybe eqing a little upper-midrange out of it. Otherwise it's not bad for one drum mic, untreated room etc. Okay, maybe a multiband on the drum mic to subdue the harshness during the loud bits would be good, but that's a technical as I'll get.

I've only found a bunch of midi based mixes and not too much on 'real' instruments.
Are you talking about this site? I don't know what part of the forum you found all that, but if you go to the MP3 Clinic, you'll find mostly real songs played on real instruments by real people.

EDIT: Actually, you're right. I just went through the first page of the MP3 Clinic and it now seems to be infested with fake instruments, guitar cab sims, and drum machines. Sad but true.

Last edited:
Back