expanding my mixing options...

books are essentially old technology. I'm all for people getting paid to teach, but to be using the technology of 1000 years ago, AND to be charging an arm and a leg for it...

the internet has all this information, for free, if you can just find a good forum about whatever topic... which is exactly why I'm here.

ain't y'all got no mixin game you're looking to put out there?!
that's what this forum is all about!
making that book obsolete.

I've been wearing out YouTube, but I need topics to search for. I just picked up "expander" (thanks!)...
what else ya' got?!

I need to up my mix skills beyond "basic competence"...
what should I be looking into?

books are essentially old technology. I'm all for people getting paid to teach, but to be using the technology of 1000 years ago, AND to be charging an arm and a leg for it...

the internet has all this information, for free, if you can just find a good forum about whatever topic... which is exactly why I'm here.

ain't y'all got no mixin game you're looking to put out there?!
that's what this forum is all about!
making that book obsolete.

I've been wearing out YouTube, but I need topics to search for. I just picked up "expander" (thanks!)...
what else ya' got?!

I need to up my mix skills beyond "basic competence"...
what should I be looking into?

you don't understand though, I would never share the information in that book, it's something people used to have called integrity

how about this...
I can learn everything I need on YouTube, if I just know what to search for.
EQ
Compression
Pan, Echo, Delay, etc
(all that basic stuff)

what's next?

So the next step would be watching videos to make your own audio interface for free? I guess I agree with Btyre about integrity. The internet has unlocked so much good information, but also attracted some wrong information sources as well. There's nothing wrong with knowing the information. There's nothing wrong with getting information for free. But alluding to getting or providing copyrighted information without paying (the author) for it strikes me as an integrity issue. I'd like to get payed for my music when it's played, so I don't download music for free. Same with books.

Anyway, here's a short list of things you can research that you didn't mention:
signal chain
side chaining
parallel compression and effects/eq
limiting (a form of compression)
control voltage (CV)

Just for starters

books are essentially old technology.
So is sex. But not everyone wants to create a child by visiting a sperm bank or having 'technology in a test tube' do the biz.
Some of us who are as old as the technology like to read and will therefore always have books to hand. You Tube rarely interests me. Books virtually always do.
the internet has all this information, for free
You rather miss the point. Not everyone is simply "hunting for information" in that stone cold way, which is why some recommend books worth reading. Personally, I find reading about how an album or song was created does far more for me than say, watching a programme about how it was done ~ even though I'll watch it. I think both are valuable.
Shame you don't like the printed word though, this forum is packed with useful info, though you have to hunt for it a bit.

how about this...
I can learn everything I need on YouTube, if I just know what to search for.
EQ
Compression
Pan, Echo, Delay, etc
(all that basic stuff)

what's next?

Well, its like being a musician, you can own a fender strat but it does not automatically make you a Jimi Hendrix, you need to practice, it's the same with mixing.

Alan.

jesus Christ, if we could get rid of all the people who contribute nothing to the conversation but bullshit and condescension, this forum would be about empty. for the few who have actually contributed, thank you. for the rest, I am not asking you to post info from a book (hurting your precious integrity). I'm looking for information on mixing, which is what this forum is about. I've been holding off saying it, but jesus. why are you on this forum about mixing if you just want to waste people's time, including your own?

At the risk of repeating myself, I'll repeat myself

Here's a short list of things you can research that you didn't mention:
signal chain
side chaining
parallel compression and effects/eq
limiting (a form of compression)
control voltage (CV)

Do you need some more?
How about:
dynamic processing
gating
ducking
Fletcher-Munson & ISO standard curves
frequency spectrum (primary frequencies of the instruments recorded)
bouncing...

no need to repeat... I wrote them down the 1st time and am downloading videos, as we speak. thanks for the actual info.

You can read Mixing in the Home Studio by Mike Senior and go to his website. He's got looooots of tracks there that you can practice with, really anything from 10 to 80 tracks in all genres. It's free and legal too.

I would make one suggestion: Post your instruments and vocals in the 'mix it' sub forum. And let others mix it and see what they get. If you like what you hear, you can as them what they used and such.

jesus Christ, if we could get rid of all the people who contribute nothing to the conversation but bullshit and condescension, this forum would be about empty. for the few who have actually contributed, thank you. for the rest, I am not asking you to post info from a book (hurting your precious integrity). I'm looking for information on mixing, which is what this forum is about. I've been holding off saying it, but jesus. why are you on this forum about mixing if you just want to waste people's time, including your own?
Just out of interest, who was that addressed to ?
In answer to the specific questions, many conversations deviate from the topic at hand ~ it's the nature of conversation. Sidetracking is what human beings do, much of the time.

If this ain't a terrific sig line that demonstrates where the current mindset is at....I don't know what is!!!

:laughings:

Welcome to the 21st century, where everyone thinks that all the info online is 100% accurate and they can learn everything they need from YouTube. No such thing as books that are written by reputable sources, the guy in his basement with a USB to XLR microphone is THE most reliable source of information ever, and I can learn all I ever need to know from that.

Makes me sick. I'm a millennial and I still absolutely love books. I could not even replace a book with an eBook (that's more personal preference, but you get my point).

Like, I'm not bagging on YouTube as a source for information, but there's not really any way to verify it as quality information. Books are still the way a college teaches everything, whether they're in textbook physical form or eBook form, it's a way to get a ton of information from a reliable source. It's not "ancient technology." It's reliable technology.

Back