EQing/Recording/Mixing in Bass...

Robertt8

When I record and or mix bass it seems to completely overpower everything without being too loud if that makes sense(too boomy or something). i think my problem lies in the EQing of the Bass. Turning the volume down doesn't do it. It just makes it softer, but it's still muddy and lacking definition. The other instruments seems to sit in the mix a lot better with out a ton of screwing with. Is there some basic recording/EQing techniques to help with this issue???

Any general places to start as far as EQing or recording? By the way, I just run my electric bass straight through my Audio and into my Roland VS-880EX.

Thanks...

no one has any advice on this?

Also, I seem to be getting a lot of "rough" sound from the strings...kinda like when you pick too hard, but I'm not. Does that make sense? Is there a way to minimize thise?

Robert, there are too many variables for us to tell you where to cut eq without hearing the music. I usually find a deep cut around 300-400 hz will unmuddy a bass track. In addition cutting some of the lowend in the track might help.

JAKE-OWA: Thanks for the feedback. I've got a sample to check out if you're interested...

URL: http://bob.birdsallinteractive.com/
SONG: I_Believe_in_Everything_01.mp3

...The 02 version is one where I tried to EQ, but I think I took way too much bass out of everything.

Thanks...

Hmmmm....I guess it's been quite a while since I've put on new bass strings...good idea. It also seems like I loose that string sound if I turn down my tone nob a lot, but then I loose some definition. Hopefully I can make that up with some strategic EQ.

Any other generic Bass EQing ideas out there?

Being a bass player, here's what I've learned through my attempts at playing and mixing:

60-80ish Hz will give you "low-end" (i.e. a deep sound, or stuff that a subwoofer will likely reproduce)

The 120-250 Hz range will generally give you that low mid punch and presence.

The 300-500 Hz will be nasal and honky. Can be good, but I usually cut this, as it occupies a lot of space, and I like the low mid + high mid sound in my mixes.

700-800-900 Hz is your friend. Usually these frequencies will make guitars and drums sound very boxy, but it really helps the bass get some definition and clarity in the mix. I usually find the little notch that helps my bass sound the most, boost it on the bass track, then cut out that same wedge from the remaining tracks. Helps the bass sit and blend in very well.

1.2-1.6k will give you some grittiness. This is especially good if you want a cutting sound, or if you want to enhance the sound of playing with a pick (works for fingerstyle too).

Everything else, I don't really mess around with much. I'll roll off the highs w/o them affecting the rest of the sound too much because they just take up real estate. Again, this is a general/generic guideline I use for myself. It may or may not work for you. Experimentation is always the best.

Hope that helps.

I agree with hugh on all points. Particularly the part about 800-900hz being your friend.

But Lomky nailed it on the head. You gotta' change those strings. New strings sound bright, punchy, and defined. Older strings sound like ass.

You're probably not going to like this, but a lot of it has to do with your technique, also. Depending on how you pick / pluck, and where you're picking in relation to the pickup can have a drastic effect on the overall definition of the bass.

I forgot to mention a couple of things that are more related to the playing/recording aspect:

While it may sound silly, but playing "noisily" can really help you get your bass to be heard. What I mean by this is to not be afraid of some "clickity clack" percussiveness when playing, especially for heavy, accentted notes and hits. The frequencies associated with the percussiveness of playing bass are in the high mids and highs, and they really help the instrument cut through. Of course this all depends on the kind of music you're playing and the sound you want. In my band, we all play fairly busy parts, and being a bass player who's heavily inspired by Geddy Lee (Rush)'s playing, I really want my instrument and lines to be heard rather than be an extension of the guitar (at least most of the time). Playing fairly aggressively helps me get a good attack and definition in the mix. For softer stuff, I'll try to get a rounder tone by plucking by the neck with the meat of my fingers (this helps to get the "bass as an extension of the guitar" sound).

Again, this may sound silly, but it really works. I remember reading an article somewhere that mentioned how someone, I think it was the bass player for Steely Dan (?), who had a lot of noise when he recorded. The producer or enginer made a comment along the lines of his playing sounding like he was working on a Cadillac or something, but in the end it helped give his playing life on the recording, rather than just sit back and get buried in the mix.

Also, the comment about strings and where you play on the bass are key. Along with these is getting a good bass tone to begin with. Sure, you can, and will, mess around with the EQ after it's recorded, but that process can't compare to getting the sound you want from your amp/bass and then recording that. I personally go for a very midrange sound (both when playing and recording), as that gives you the best definition along with power. Of course this depends on how you play, i.e. fingerstyle vs. slap. If you're slapping, you need lows/low mids and highs. Mids are usually heavily scooped in the traditional slap sound (eg. listen to Marcus Miller). But if you're playing/recording fingerstyle, which is what I do pretty much exclusively, my experiences with EQing might be able to help you.

The low mids and high mids give me the growl and punch that I need, so I try to boost those some while cutting the rest a little bit. Low-lows will be almost worthless when it comes to recording, because most of those frequencies will conflict with the kick, plus they'll probably be filtered out via a HPF. This where the low mids let you get power and definition. The mid-mids can give you a nasal/honkey sound. This is really a matter of taste. I personally am not really a fan of this kind of sound, so I'll usually leave them as is (i.e. flat) or maybe boost them a bit so that if need be, I can cut them once recorded. High mids help bring out percussiveness and add definition. The highs as a whole I'll cut and/or compress. Once most of the other instruments are added in the mix, the highs from the bass track will be buried, so they're not exactly very significant.

Some may disagree with me on this one, but I think it's tough to get "too much midrange" when recording. Sure, too much can produce an infavorable tone, but the good thing is that you can always cut in the editting stage if needed, which is always better than boosting.

Anyway, hope these tips help.

Back