EQing a live recording...hiss

EvanOz85

Ok so I am completely new to EQing. I don't really know much about it, and I need some help.

I have a live recording that is very bassy and kind of muddy. It was recorded with AKG 414 ULS microphones in a college theatre.

So with Adobe Audition, I used the Parametric Equalizer to boost the highs and roll off the lows (I think these are the right terms...I lowered the line on the left, and raised it on the right).

I really like the way the recording sounds now...however when I boosted the highs, it added a ton of hiss. Can someone tell me if there is a better way to get the recording to sound less muddy and more open without the hiss being added?

Here are before and after clips so you can hear what I'm talking about:

Original:

After EQing:

Thanks!

Ok so I am completely new to EQing. I don't really know much about it, and I need some help.

I have a live recording that is very bassy and kind of muddy. It was recorded with AKG 414 ULS microphones in a college theatre.

So with Adobe Audition, I used the Parametric Equalizer to boost the highs and roll off the lows (I think these are the right terms...I lowered the line on the left, and raised it on the right).

I really like the way the recording sounds now...however when I boosted the highs, it added a ton of hiss. Can someone tell me if there is a better way to get the recording to sound less muddy and more open without the hiss being added?

Here are before and after clips so you can hear what I'm talking about:

Original:

After EQing:

Thanks!

Well, Mudd is usually in the lower mids. Between 150 and 300. Try cutting there. Presence is between 3 and 5 k, depending what you've recorded. The hiss is above 8 k. I would never boost there.

Back