EQ Plugins - Dedicated HPF/LPF

adam79

I was checking out the Brainworx site and came across their free bx_cleansweep plugin, which is a dedicated HPF/LPF Eq plug. What's the point of a plug like this when every EQ includes a High and Low Pass Filter?

Also, the pay version, bx_cleansweep Pro, includes a Butterworth filter; the free version makes no mention of it. Can you create the Butterworth filter with any EQ, or does it need to be built into the plug (as a selectable filter)?

Thanks.

As far as I know, you should be able to build your own if I am reading the information correctly. It seems to deal with the slope more than anything else. As far as the HP/LP plug, any eq will do that, but, some people can do things with certain plugs that others can not. So I really can't say, this plug has no purpose at all.

The pic below should show you how to build the Butterworth. If you want to know who thought it up and why it carries the name it does, click here. It is a cool little read.

I was checking out the Brainworx site and came across their free bx_cleansweep plugin, which is a dedicated HPF/LPF Eq plug. What's the point of a plug like this when every EQ includes a High and Low Pass Filter?

Also, the pay version, bx_cleansweep Pro, includes a Butterworth filter; the free version makes no mention of it. Can you create the Butterworth filter with any EQ, or does it need to be built into the plug (as a selectable filter)?

Thanks.

Well I can't say for sure because I have never used that particular plug, but I do know that some can do it better than others. Some can adjust the slope more quickly with less artifacts and phase issues.

That being said, you get what you pay for.

FabFilter Pro-Q is worth every penny IMO. Cubase stock eq does not sound good to me. But what the hell do I know...

Thanks.

The original (FREE) Cleansweep uses a Butterworth filter set.

Also, the point of this plug is that it's more flexible than some of the typical HPF/LPF filter sets, and the algorithm behind it is probably better then most....and it's free.

"It was on this principle that Dirk designed the bx_cleansweep V2, a deceptively simple and yet powerful hybrid High-Pass and Low-Pass Butterworth filter that implements gently sloped curves (6 dB/octave) in order to achieve a musical and nonintrusive effect when zeroing-in on a sound’s intended character. A joystick control, much like an X/Y pad, helped facilitate intuitive and direct movements towards a cleaner sound stage. The bx_cleansweep design, like it’s bigger siblings – bx_digital V3 and bx_hybrid V2, features Anti-Crush technology. This analog model for filter curves prevents the harshness and aliasing found in certain other EQs. "

How do you set the 3.01dB cutoff? The settings are usually just the frequency where is starts the cut and dB slope value.

-3dB is what defines the cutoff frequency. Depending on the type of filter and the slope, the level could be raised or lowered to some degree in the passband.

How do you set the 3.01dB cutoff? The settings are usually just the frequency where is starts the cut and dB slope value.

In Reaper, their stock eq is pretty decent. The LP is adjustable and depending on what you are applying it to, normally stays around the 80hz to 125hz. The HP can be anywhere from 9,000hz to 20,000hz, again, depending on what you are applying it to. If you look at the curve below in the pic, you will see how nice the curve structure is for the HP/LP filters.

Reapers eq has three adjustments so you can pinpoint your needs. The HZ, Gain and bandwidth. The bandwidth is what makes your curve slope steep, or genital. If you notice the #2 band set at 10,000hz, really starts to effect the hz cycle starting around 1800hz. Sometimes you may not want this to do that, and some times it will not matter. Again, this will depend on what you are applying it to.

It seems that Mrs Butterworth, :facepalm:, emmmm, paann caaaaaaaaaakes, (now I'm hungry) starts at a -3db and is making their cutoff at the -90dbs. Myself, I use a -120dbs cutoff due to me being able to pick up certain freqs at the -90db level, for some odd unknown reason. I refuse to believe I am along concerning this issue.

View attachment 100764

FabFilter Pro-Q is worth every penny IMO. Cubase stock eq does not sound good to me. But what the hell do I know...

Bro Frequency is the shit. For the first time ever cubase actually comes with a decent stock eq. I've never cared for the stock 4 band either and the other ones are useless in my opinion.

Honestly the stock compressors are worth looking at as well FYI.

But I also agree pro Q2 is a fantastic all round eq. I've used it quite a bit at a buddy's place and at one point really wanted it. Seems like a fantastic eq for pretty much anything.

Bro Frequency is the shit.

Hey Brother, I commend you on your honest listed under your "Services" page. If more people had your line of thinking, the www would not have as much false information as it doe concerning this issue. I have no desire to hijack this thread and if you have time, could you PM me and give me your opinion on your porcelain sound booth? I have heard about them, I always thought it was a myth/hoax. Bout fell out my chair when I saw it under your pics!

Ya, all those FabFilter plugs look amazing. I haven't tried any of them as of yet, they are too pricey for my meager budget. I've been hesitant to even demo them, as I'd probably feel naked without 'em (once the demo period ends). Does the Pro Q2 have that mix assistant feature? Besides Neutron, PSP Neon is another with suggestive EQ. I'm waiting until I finish tracking a few demos before demoing Neutron and Neon.

Cleansweep uses minimal processing power and adds little sample delay so can be used on every track without causing a lot of latency or a big hit to processor. The Butterworth slope tends to be musically analog sounding as opposed to modern digital slopes. So basically its a useful quick way to keep multiple tracks clean without using a whole eq. If there is already a need for eq on a track with lo and or hi pass, u don't need cleansweep on that track.

Hey Brother, I commend you on your honest listed under your "Services" page. If more people had your line of thinking, the www would not have as much false information as it doe concerning this issue. I have no desire to hijack this thread and if you have time, could you PM me and give me your opinion on your porcelain sound booth? I have heard about them, I always thought it was a myth/hoax. Bout fell out my chair when I saw it under your pics!

The porcelain sound booth is a one trick pony, but when it works it works haha.

I prefer real world rooms over reverb whenever possible, and in the world of home recording it's mostly not possible (or more importantly good).

That room was from my old apartment. I moved from that space in 2011.

Ya, all those FabFilter plugs look amazing. I haven't tried any of them as of yet, they are too pricey for my meager budget. I've been hesitant to even demo them, as I'd probably feel naked without 'em (once the demo period ends). Does the Pro Q2 have that mix assistant feature? Besides Neutron, PSP Neon is another with suggestive EQ. I'm waiting until I finish tracking a few demos before demoing Neutron and Neon.

Pro Q2 is really just a ridiculously nice eq, as far as there being anything automatic about it though the answer is nope.

I have zero experience with any of the other stuff from fab filter though.

Back