EQ on keyboards

Jack Real

Hi

I have a song that is entirely on keyboard (Alesis Quadrasynth). I have some mixing features on that keyboard (line paning and effects) when the song is played with a sequencer but I don't have the possibility to EQ the individual tracks. The only way I can change the frequency of a track is by going into the individual sound but the filters are not designed to perform mixes (no mid range EQ with variable frequency). Is this a common problem with keyboards or do the new keyboards all have that mixing feature ? If not, do you have to EQ keyboard tracks during a mix or are you just modifying the sound until it fits better frequency wise ?

Thanks,

Jack Real

The motif rack module allows you to EQ each midi track. I am not sure what other boards offer this... maybe the triton and motif keyboards do also.

I'm trying to convince my wife that I need a Motif rack or I will die... she told me to rest in peace :(
But when the tax return comes you can bet I am going to sneak $1000 away...

Yo Jack of Reality:

The only other thing I can think of is that you need a multitrack recorder. Then, you can EQ the hell out of any track.

I'm not familiar with your keyboard but it seems to be one with a sequencer, et al. I don't know why you can't EQ a single track as I don't do midi.

I also have a Yamaha DX7 and I record that box right onto the Yam 2816 and then I have complete control over the all dynamics, reverb, and EQ.

Hope this helps.

Green Hornet:D ;) :cool:

Yo Jack of Reality:

The only other thing I can think of is that you need a multitrack recorder. Then, you can EQ the hell out of any track.

I'm not familiar with your keyboard but it seems to be one with a sequencer, et al. I don't know why you can't EQ a single track as I don't do midi.

I also have a Yamaha DX7 and I record that box right onto the Yam 2816 and then I have complete control over the all dynamics, reverb, and EQ.

Hope this helps.

Green Hornet

Ans: I think that's what I will do. Since the song is on keyboard and I use only 4 tracks for the vocals, I will have 4 free tracks to experiment on my Yamaha MD8. I will put the 2 side instruments (violin and piano) on 2 tracks and EQ them at the mix. My problem is that the violin doens't seems to get along with the fuzz guitar (played on keyboard) unless I put a lot of reverb on the violin. Also, I would like to cut the low frequencies on the piano until it sits nicely on the mix.

Note: I have a CD of songs that me and a friend recorded in 1984-85 using a fostex 4 tracks. The first 2 songs were with a Yamaha DX7 and they are the 2 best songs of the CD.

Thanks,

Jack Real.

The only way to EQ them seperately is to record them like the Hornet suggested or run the sounds out of different outputs on the keyboard and run them through a mixer or external EQ. That's why some keyboards have a lot of outputs.

Back