EQ attenuates FX

Jazzman1949

No noob, here. I have 50 yrs. experience performing and recording. My home system is modest, but adequate.

However, I noticed something odd going on between the EQ and the FX unit.

I'm using a Behringer Ultragraph EQ and a TC Electronic M350 FX unit. Independently, both seem to work quite well. But chained together (signal path = from TASCAM DP-01 FX -> out to M350 -> out to Behringer -> return to TASCAM). As most would agree, I'm EQ'g after
effects, but the Behringer definitely attenuates the effects. Significantly. I can't see any reason for that.

I guess I could experiment and put the EQ first and see how that sounds, but I just find it strange that an EQ should have such a dampening effect of FX.

'dampening effect', as in tone change (even when it's set flat) or 'attenuation?
How about with the fx out of the chain- attenuation ? (You're using +4' connections and level throughout?

No, I'm talking about hearing a significant loss of the effects. Without the EQ engaged, it sounds fine. Engage the EQ, and it's as though I dialed-back the dry/wet mix on the effects unit. What do you mean by "+4' connections?" Are you talking about the length of the patch cables?

I'm going to try an experiment. I'm going to set the EQ "flat." Then, play some vocal tracks with the desired FX. Then, engage the EQ. I SHOULD hear no change at all.

What do you mean by "+4' connections?" Are you talking about the length of the patch cables?

Terms like +4 and -10 refer to standard operating levels, each of which correlates to a specified voltage. The first one is +4dBu, and it is the "pro" line level. The second, -10dBv, is consumer line level. For the most part pro gear is made to operate at +4 but some pro gear works at -10. For example it's fairly common for mixer inserts and tape send/receive connections to be -10. Some gear can be switched from +4 to -10 operation, which makes the inputs more sensitive and the outputs lower level. In some cases one piece of gear will have multiple I/O connectors set up for different levels, usually with the -10 signal on RCA connectors or unbalanced (TS) 1/4" connectors and the +4 signal on balanced (TRS) 1/4" connectors or XLR. Some gear can switch the input and output levels independently, which could cause a loss of level.

Balanced (and low impedance) connection makes the connection resistant to interference and helps the signal go down long lines without loss of quality. It uses three conductors, a positive, a negative and a ground. It's possible that incorrectly connecting one of these can cause a loss of level.

But I don't think either of those explain what's going on if the effect is being affected but the dry signal is not. The most likely thing to me right now is a loss of left/right separation, which would make stereo reverbs less prominent.

Are you using the effects unit as an insert, or on an aux send?

If there is dry signal on another path, and the eq is attenuation the effect, it would be the same as changing the wet/dry mix.

CHEAP UNITS CAN DO THAT _ EVEN WITH BYPASS

Outside of that, I usually want EQ before effects like reverb. I don't think it's uncommon to hear graphic EQ - at least I dumped mine around 1980. I now have another one that works fine, but I don't use it for signals other than room EQ. You know the deal about cutting, rather than boosting EQ, right ?,

No, I'm talking about hearing a significant loss of the effects. Without the EQ engaged, it sounds fine. Engage the EQ, and it's as though I dialed-back the dry/wet mix on the effects unit.
[snip..]
I'm going to try an experiment. I'm going to set the EQ "flat." Then, play some vocal tracks with the desired FX. Then, engage the EQ. I SHOULD hear no change at all.
Yes. I hope you come back to clear up the situation -or results. We [I would] presume one would have meant 'flat -to eliminate an obvious variable- in the first place? :>)

I'm going to set the EQ "flat." Then, play some vocal tracks with the desired FX. Then, engage the EQ. I SHOULD hear no change at all.

Well, unless the effects are predominant in a given frequency range that gets cut by the eq. Then it could sound like the effect is turned down more than the dry signal, though it isn't likely to be drastically obvious.

Post a sample, before and after.

Back