Enhancing certian parts of the song...

Atom Bomb

Wtf is a PRS
I am starting a new mixing project for some buddies. The genre is this new fangled white studded belt pop punk. and i have been reading some of there demands before i get the tracks.

Im sorta stuck in one area...

In one of there songs there is a quick pause and then a palm mute kind of chug back into the song. The drummer has asked that he would like his kick beefed up and to really bring out the punch of that part of the song where it kicks back in.

In my mind i would make a copy of it and drag it into a new track or something and mix it a little differently...

....In my mind...

....which means there is always an easier way of doing it....:laughings:

I am using reaper if that helps. But if there is a much easier way to remix that one kick drum note can someone please fill me in. . . . .

1) Yes, you could put it on a new track and mix differently. In some software, such as Sonar which I use, you can insert plugins on individual clips, therefore having different FX on the same track by splitting the clip.

2) The more correct answer:
He's probably looking for a subdrop/bass boom. Very common in modern 'core' metal, and perhaps used in other genres as well. Look it up. It's a seperate sound, perhaps based off of the kick drum, which comes in on the first hit.

The subdrop did actually get mentioned but the bass player emailed me seperately to state he didn't want the subdrop.....

I will get them to sort that shit out.

But thanks. For the help.

I wonder if reaper does that applying FX thing to a clip with in a track... will have a look.

I would just start playing with my inserts - EQ and compression especially. You might even be able to add in some weird sounding plug-in to give it the tone you are looking for. Just make sure that kick has the same volume as all of the other kicks or else it will sound weird. If the band could suppy an example they all agree on we could help you achieve that sound.

Back